From: Dennis Lee Bieber <wlfraed@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Running ADA on Beaglebone Black
Date: Sun, 09 Aug 2020 11:59:37 -0400	[thread overview]

On Sun, 9 Aug 2020 07:39:58 -0700 (PDT), Ricardo Brandão
<rbrandao.br@gmail.com> declaimed the following:

	FYI: "ADA" (all caps) is NOT a programming language -- "Ada" is a
proper name (from Ada Lovelace -- I can never recall if it's Ada Augusta or
Augusta Ada). All caps is, among others "American Dental Association".

>I've just acquired a Beaglebone black and I'm trying to run a simple program in Ada.
>
>I tried to install gnat but apt-get install gnat or anything similar doesn't work.

	What did they display? You did have a network connection at the time?
(The USB connection is not suitable unless the host computer is configured
for "Internet Connection Sharing" or the equivalent).

	Had you run "apt update" first?

>I didn't find any place with the repository, nor any tutorial.

debian@beaglebone:~$ apt search gnat
Sorting... Done
Full Text Search... Done
<SNIP>
gnat/stable,now 8.0.1 all [installed]
  GNU Ada compiler

gnat-7/stable 7.4.0-6 armhf
  GNU Ada compiler

gnat-7-sjlj/stable 7.4.0-6 armhf
  GNU Ada compiler (setjump/longjump runtime library)

gnat-8/stable,now 8.3.0-6 armhf [installed,automatic]
  GNU Ada compiler

gnat-8-sjlj/stable 8.3.0-6 armhf
  GNU Ada compiler (setjump/longjump runtime library)

gnat-gps-common/stable 18-5 all
  integrated development environment for C and Ada (common files)

gnat-gps-doc/stable 18-5 all
  integrated development environment for C and Ada (documentation)

gnat-mingw-w64/stable 8.3.0-6+21.3~deb10u1 all
  GNU Ada compiler for MinGW-w64

<SNIP>

libgnat-7/stable 7.4.0-6 armhf
  runtime for applications compiled with GNAT (shared library)

libgnat-7-dbg/stable 7.4.0-6 armhf
  runtime for applications compiled with GNAT (debugging symbols)

libgnat-8/stable,now 8.3.0-6 armhf [installed,automatic]
  runtime for applications compiled with GNAT (shared library)

libgnat-8-alpha-cross/stable 8.3.0-2cross2 all
  runtime for applications compiled with GNAT (shared library)

<SNIP -- surprised I show tons of cross build libraries and compilers>

libgnatcoll-doc/stable 18-4 all
  GNATColl, general purpose Ada library (documentation)

libgnatcoll-gmp17-dev/stable 18-2 armhf
  GNATColl, general purpose Ada library (GMP)

libgnatcoll-gmp18/stable 18-2 armhf
  GNATColl, general purpose Ada library (GMP runtime)

libgnatcoll-iconv17-dev/stable 18-2 armhf
  GNATColl, general purpose Ada library (iconv)

libgnatcoll-iconv18/stable 18-2 armhf
  GNATColl, general purpose Ada library (iconv runtime)

<SNIP>

libgpr18/stable 2018-6 armhf
  support for programs processing GNAT projects (runtime)

libgpr2-dev/stable 2018-6 armhf
  support for programs processing GNAT projects (development)
<SNIP>
debian@beaglebone:~$

>How it the best way to run Ada in the BBB?

	Based upon what I show

sudo apt install gnat
OR
sudo apt install gnat-8

should suffice.

	You will NOT have access to the GPS graphical IDE, unless you also
install a working X-window stack -- current standard Beaglebone images tend
to be "IoT"; putting X-Window on the eMMC leaves practically no space for
doing anything -- and even "apt upgrade" may fail due to lack of space if
it has been some time since the image had been made.

debian@beaglebone:~$ apt search gps
Sorting... Done
Full Text Search... Done
<SNIP>