From: Ken Roberts <alisonken1@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Integer_IO or Modular_IO with different base as default
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2021 14:09:48 -0800 (PST)	[thread overview]

On Monday, November 15, 2021 at 1:40:34 PM UTC-8, Simon Wright wrote:
< snip >
I was going to add before your reply that I'm trying to get output without the extra padding of showing the base.

I would rather not have to send the output to a subroutine that would strip the extra characters out or write a new routine to convert the decimal to octal before printing.

It's more in keeping with the system design of the original digital equipment as well as the documentation that

As an example, the format as documented for the equipment:

Data word: DDDDD DDDDD (30-bit word in octal data format)
Instruction word: FF J K B DDDDD (30-bit word in octal instruction 1 format)
Instruction word: FF JJ K B DDDDD (30-bit word in octal instruction 2 format)

All of the documentation is written in those formats, and having 8X..X surrounding each field really sucks on the output when trying to evaluate between original documentation and the program output.