comp.lang.ada
 help / color / mirror / Atom feed
* How to install GtkAda
@ 2020-10-24 11:09 AdaMagica
  2020-10-24 12:31 ` Chris Townley
                   ` (3 more replies)
  0 siblings, 4 replies; 16+ messages in thread
From: AdaMagica @ 2020-10-24 11:09 UTC (permalink / raw)


I downloaded the newest release 21.0.0 from https://github.com/AdaCore/gtkada and unpacked it.

README.md says:
Installation
------------
See the file `INSTALL`.

INSTALL says:
On Windows, just run the Gtkada installer and follow the displayed instructions.

This is a joke! Where is this installer?

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 16+ messages in thread

* Re: How to install GtkAda
  2020-10-24 11:09 How to install GtkAda AdaMagica
@ 2020-10-24 12:31 ` Chris Townley
  2020-10-24 13:12 ` Dmitry A. Kazakov
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
  3 siblings, 0 replies; 16+ messages in thread
From: Chris Townley @ 2020-10-24 12:31 UTC (permalink / raw)


On 24/10/2020 12:09, AdaMagica wrote:
> Gtkada installer

You can find it on the net - Google is your friend!

Strange they don't distribute it. I haven't found the official source

Chris

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 16+ messages in thread

* Re: How to install GtkAda
  2020-10-24 11:09 How to install GtkAda AdaMagica
  2020-10-24 12:31 ` Chris Townley
@ 2020-10-24 13:12 ` Dmitry A. Kazakov
  2020-10-26 11:54   ` AdaMagica
  2020-10-24 17:15 ` Dennis Lee Bieber
  2020-11-02 21:16 ` Norman Worth
  3 siblings, 1 reply; 16+ messages in thread
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2020-10-24 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)


On 24/10/2020 13:09, AdaMagica wrote:
> I downloaded the newest release 21.0.0 from https://github.com/AdaCore/gtkada and unpacked it.
> 
> README.md says:
> Installation
> ------------
> See the file `INSTALL`.
> 
> INSTALL says:
> On Windows, just run the Gtkada installer and follow the displayed instructions.
> 
> This is a joke! Where is this installer?

The binary release of GtkAda with an installer is in the GNAT CE:

    https://www.adacore.com/download/more

You cannot install GtkAda from the sources under Windows, because GTK 
cannot be without some serious hair-pulling bootstrapping process as it 
has circular dependencies in it, and to be honest, it is a total mess.

However if you could skip the the fun part. Install MinGW and get 
pre-built GTK packages from there. Then you could try to compile GtkAda 
by usual config-make way under MinGW. You can use either MinGW GNAT or 
GNAT CE for that. This should give you GtkAda compiled for Windows.

-- 
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov
http://www.dmitry-kazakov.de

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 16+ messages in thread

* Re: How to install GtkAda
  2020-10-24 11:09 How to install GtkAda AdaMagica
  2020-10-24 12:31 ` Chris Townley
  2020-10-24 13:12 ` Dmitry A. Kazakov
@ 2020-10-24 17:15 ` Dennis Lee Bieber
  2020-11-02 21:16 ` Norman Worth
  3 siblings, 0 replies; 16+ messages in thread
From: Dennis Lee Bieber @ 2020-10-24 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)


On Sat, 24 Oct 2020 04:09:01 -0700 (PDT), AdaMagica
<christ-usch.grein@t-online.de> declaimed the following:

>I downloaded the newest release 21.0.0 from https://github.com/AdaCore/gtkada and unpacked it.


>This is a joke! Where is this installer?

https://www.adacore.com/download/more (specify Windows in drop-down)
"""
GtkAda
gtkada-2020-x86_64-windows-bin.exe
SHA-1: 711f9a7dda122781f8aee580607440eb28a0ea4d
	60.8 MiB	Aug 19 2020
"""

	If there's been a newer build since August, you'll likely have to wait
for next year's AdaCore release...


-- 
	Wulfraed                 Dennis Lee Bieber         AF6VN
	wlfraed@ix.netcom.com    http://wlfraed.microdiversity.freeddns.org/

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 16+ messages in thread

* Re: How to install GtkAda
  2020-10-24 13:12 ` Dmitry A. Kazakov
@ 2020-10-26 11:54   ` AdaMagica
  2021-04-05 21:54     ` John McCabe
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 16+ messages in thread
From: AdaMagica @ 2020-10-26 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)


Dmitry A. Kazakov schrieb am Samstag, 24. Oktober 2020 um 15:12:28 UTC+2:
> https://www.adacore.com/download/more 
Thanks Dmitry, I downloaded it from there and installed it.
Don't know why I didn't see it on this site.
Christoph

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 16+ messages in thread

* Re: How to install GtkAda
  2020-10-24 11:09 How to install GtkAda AdaMagica
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
  2020-10-24 17:15 ` Dennis Lee Bieber
@ 2020-11-02 21:16 ` Norman Worth
  2020-11-03 13:22   ` AdaMagica
  3 siblings, 1 reply; 16+ messages in thread
From: Norman Worth @ 2020-11-02 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)


AdaMagica wrote:
> I downloaded the newest release 21.0.0 from https://github.com/AdaCore/gtkada and unpacked it.
> 
> README.md says:
> Installation
> ------------
> See the file `INSTALL`.
> 
> INSTALL says:
> On Windows, just run the Gtkada installer and follow the displayed instructions.
> 
> This is a joke! Where is this installer?
> 
doInstall

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 16+ messages in thread

* Re: How to install GtkAda
  2020-11-02 21:16 ` Norman Worth
@ 2020-11-03 13:22   ` AdaMagica
  2020-11-05  3:25     ` Stephen Leake
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 16+ messages in thread
From: AdaMagica @ 2020-11-03 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)


Norman Worth schrieb am Montag, 2. November 2020 um 22:16:50 UTC+1:
> doInstall
Thank you! doinstall is a shellscript and does not run under windows.

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 16+ messages in thread

* Re: How to install GtkAda
  2020-11-03 13:22   ` AdaMagica
@ 2020-11-05  3:25     ` Stephen Leake
  2020-11-05  9:44       ` AdaMagica
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 16+ messages in thread
From: Stephen Leake @ 2020-11-05  3:25 UTC (permalink / raw)


AdaMagica <christ-usch.grein@t-online.de> writes:

> Norman Worth schrieb am Montag, 2. November 2020 um 22:16:50 UTC+1:
>> doInstall
> Thank you! doinstall is a shellscript and does not run under windows.

It will run in Cygwin or msys2; use use msys2 (http://mingw-w64.org/).

-- 
-- Stephe

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 16+ messages in thread

* Re: How to install GtkAda
  2020-11-05  3:25     ` Stephen Leake
@ 2020-11-05  9:44       ` AdaMagica
  2020-11-06 12:17         ` Stephen Leake
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 16+ messages in thread
From: AdaMagica @ 2020-11-05  9:44 UTC (permalink / raw)


Stephen Leake schrieb am Donnerstag, 5. November 2020 um 04:25:54 UTC+1:
> It will run in Cygwin or msys2; use use msys2 (http://mingw-w64.org/). 

Yes, I could install those. But for my needs, Windows alone is enough, I'm not going to install some shim just for GtkAda.
If this version implies to use those, they just should say so and not talk about a nonexistant windows installer.

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 16+ messages in thread

* Re: How to install GtkAda
  2020-11-05  9:44       ` AdaMagica
@ 2020-11-06 12:17         ` Stephen Leake
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 16+ messages in thread
From: Stephen Leake @ 2020-11-06 12:17 UTC (permalink / raw)


AdaMagica <christ-usch.grein@t-online.de> writes:

> Stephen Leake schrieb am Donnerstag, 5. November 2020 um 04:25:54 UTC+1:
>> It will run in Cygwin or msys2; use use msys2 (http://mingw-w64.org/). 
>
> Yes, I could install those. But for my needs, Windows alone is enough,

There is also the GNAT Community release binary install, which includes
GtkAda.

-- 
-- Stephe


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 16+ messages in thread

* Re: How to install GtkAda
  2020-10-26 11:54   ` AdaMagica
@ 2021-04-05 21:54     ` John McCabe
  2021-04-08 15:30       ` DrPi
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 16+ messages in thread
From: John McCabe @ 2021-04-05 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)


On Monday, 26 October 2020 at 11:54:15 UTC, AdaMagica wrote:
> Dmitry A. Kazakov schrieb am Samstag, 24. Oktober 2020 um 15:12:28 UTC+2: 
> > https://www.adacore.com/download/more 
> Thanks Dmitry, I downloaded it from there and installed it. 

Sorry to resurrect this but, as a matter of interest, have you tried using Glade from the start menu? I installed GtkAda earlier from the Community stuff and, while just rummaging around, thought I'd click on the "Glade" menu item (it's years since I used GTK, and I remember Glade being 'interesting' at the time, soo... :-). Anyway, it comes up saying it can't find glade-2.exe at the location it's supposed to be.

I just wondered if that's 'normal' for the Windows installer. 

John

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 16+ messages in thread

* Re: How to install GtkAda
  2021-04-05 21:54     ` John McCabe
@ 2021-04-08 15:30       ` DrPi
  2021-04-15 11:47         ` John McCabe
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 16+ messages in thread
From: DrPi @ 2021-04-08 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)


Le 05/04/2021 à 23:54, John McCabe a écrit :
> On Monday, 26 October 2020 at 11:54:15 UTC, AdaMagica wrote:
>> Dmitry A. Kazakov schrieb am Samstag, 24. Oktober 2020 um 15:12:28 UTC+2:
>>> https://www.adacore.com/download/more
>> Thanks Dmitry, I downloaded it from there and installed it.
> 
> Sorry to resurrect this but, as a matter of interest, have you tried using Glade from the start menu? I installed GtkAda earlier from the Community stuff and, while just rummaging around, thought I'd click on the "Glade" menu item (it's years since I used GTK, and I remember Glade being 'interesting' at the time, soo... :-). Anyway, it comes up saying it can't find glade-2.exe at the location it's supposed to be.
> 
> I just wondered if that's 'normal' for the Windows installer.

To launch Glade, go to "C:\GtkAda\bin" and double click "Glade.exe".

To run a more recent version you can :
- install MSYS2
- From MSYS2 terminal (MSYS2 MinGW 64-bit) :
     - install required package : pacman -S mingw-w64-x86_64-glade
     - run "glade"

Nicolas
> 
> John
> 

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 16+ messages in thread

* Re: How to install GtkAda
  2021-04-08 15:30       ` DrPi
@ 2021-04-15 11:47         ` John McCabe
  2021-04-16  8:28           ` DrPi
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 16+ messages in thread
From: John McCabe @ 2021-04-15 11:47 UTC (permalink / raw)


On Thu, 08 Apr 2021 17:30:56 +0200, DrPi wrote:

> Le 05/04/2021 à 23:54, John McCabe a écrit :
>> On Monday, 26 October 2020 at 11:54:15 UTC, AdaMagica wrote:
>>> Dmitry A. Kazakov schrieb am Samstag, 24. Oktober 2020 um 15:12:28
>>> UTC+2:
>>>> https://www.adacore.com/download/more
>>> Thanks Dmitry, I downloaded it from there and installed it.
>> 
>> Sorry to resurrect this but, as a matter of interest, have you tried
>> using Glade from the start menu? I installed GtkAda earlier from the
>> Community stuff and, while just rummaging around, thought I'd click on
>> the "Glade" menu item (it's years since I used GTK, and I remember
>> Glade being 'interesting' at the time, soo... :-). Anyway, it comes up
>> saying it can't find glade-2.exe at the location it's supposed to be.
>> 
>> I just wondered if that's 'normal' for the Windows installer.
> 
> To launch Glade, go to "C:\GtkAda\bin" and double click "Glade.exe".

Thanks for that Nicolas; to be honest though, I knew how to run it, I 
just wanted to know if it was normal for the installer to not install 
things properly!

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 16+ messages in thread

* Re: How to install GtkAda
  2021-04-15 11:47         ` John McCabe
@ 2021-04-16  8:28           ` DrPi
  2021-04-18 19:46             ` John McCabe
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 16+ messages in thread
From: DrPi @ 2021-04-16  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)


Le 15/04/2021 à 13:47, John McCabe a écrit :
> On Thu, 08 Apr 2021 17:30:56 +0200, DrPi wrote:
> 
>> Le 05/04/2021 à 23:54, John McCabe a écrit :
>>> On Monday, 26 October 2020 at 11:54:15 UTC, AdaMagica wrote:
>>>> Dmitry A. Kazakov schrieb am Samstag, 24. Oktober 2020 um 15:12:28
>>>> UTC+2:
>>>>> https://www.adacore.com/download/more
>>>> Thanks Dmitry, I downloaded it from there and installed it.
>>>
>>> Sorry to resurrect this but, as a matter of interest, have you tried
>>> using Glade from the start menu? I installed GtkAda earlier from the
>>> Community stuff and, while just rummaging around, thought I'd click on
>>> the "Glade" menu item (it's years since I used GTK, and I remember
>>> Glade being 'interesting' at the time, soo... :-). Anyway, it comes up
>>> saying it can't find glade-2.exe at the location it's supposed to be.
>>>
>>> I just wondered if that's 'normal' for the Windows installer.
>>
>> To launch Glade, go to "C:\GtkAda\bin" and double click "Glade.exe".
> 
> Thanks for that Nicolas; to be honest though, I knew how to run it, I
> just wanted to know if it was normal for the installer to not install
> things properly!
> 
Ah, sorry for the misunderstanding.
I have the same behavior when clicking "Glade" in the start menu.

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 16+ messages in thread

* Re: How to install GtkAda
  2021-04-16  8:28           ` DrPi
@ 2021-04-18 19:46             ` John McCabe
  2021-06-03  8:25               ` Peter
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 16+ messages in thread
From: John McCabe @ 2021-04-18 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)


On Fri, 16 Apr 2021 10:28:16 +0200, DrPi wrote:

> Le 15/04/2021 à 13:47, John McCabe a écrit :
>> On Thu, 08 Apr 2021 17:30:56 +0200, DrPi wrote:
>> 
<..snip..>

> Ah, sorry for the misunderstanding.
> I have the same behavior when clicking "Glade" in the start menu.

Thanks; that's useful to know!

John

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 16+ messages in thread

* Re: How to install GtkAda
  2021-04-18 19:46             ` John McCabe
@ 2021-06-03  8:25               ` Peter
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 16+ messages in thread
From: Peter @ 2021-06-03  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)


On Monday, April 19, 2021 at 5:46:07 AM UTC+10, John McCabe wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Apr 2021 10:28:16 +0200, DrPi wrote: 
> 
> > Le 15/04/2021 à 13:47, John McCabe a écrit : 
> >> On Thu, 08 Apr 2021 17:30:56 +0200, DrPi wrote: 
> >>
> <..snip..>
> > Ah, sorry for the misunderstanding. 
> > I have the same behavior when clicking "Glade" in the start menu.
> Thanks; that's useful to know! 
> 
> John

Update for the next poor bunny to fall down this rabbit hole! I've raised an issue on the Github GtkAda project (interesting that nobody in this thread thought to do that :-) ), so hopefully nobody will ever read this, but just in case.....

Here is why AdaMagica DID NOT find the GtkAda installation package in the "more" directory in the first place (and why I could not find it even after reading this thread!):

When installing GNAT Ada for Windows, you first come to this page: https://www.adacore.com/download where you find the latest Windows GNAT Ada installation file - you download that, not need to look at the "more packages" link. Even when you DO look at that link, the dropdown list contains only "x86 Windows (64-bit)" - and why would you select that link? I mean you already have the Windows install file!. If you do happen to select that link, you get a page that not only has the GNAT Ada Windows install file (which you already have) BUT ALSO the GtkAda install file, an unlikely (imo) sequence of events!

Hopefully the issue will be fixed in the Github repository INSTALL file - even if it is only to indicate the few steps to find the installation file in the Ada Core site.

Peter

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 16+ messages in thread

end of thread, other threads:[~2021-06-03  8:25 UTC | newest]

Thread overview: 16+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2020-10-24 11:09 How to install GtkAda AdaMagica
2020-10-24 12:31 ` Chris Townley
2020-10-24 13:12 ` Dmitry A. Kazakov
2020-10-26 11:54   ` AdaMagica
2021-04-05 21:54     ` John McCabe
2021-04-08 15:30       ` DrPi
2021-04-15 11:47         ` John McCabe
2021-04-16  8:28           ` DrPi
2021-04-18 19:46             ` John McCabe
2021-06-03  8:25               ` Peter
2020-10-24 17:15 ` Dennis Lee Bieber
2020-11-02 21:16 ` Norman Worth
2020-11-03 13:22   ` AdaMagica
2020-11-05  3:25     ` Stephen Leake
2020-11-05  9:44       ` AdaMagica
2020-11-06 12:17         ` Stephen Leake

comp.lang.ada

This inbox may be cloned and mirrored by anyone:

	git clone --mirror https://archive.legitdata.co/comp.lang.ada

	# If you have public-inbox 1.1+ installed, you may
	# initialize and index your mirror using the following commands:
	public-inbox-init -V1 comp.lang.ada comp.lang.ada/ https://archive.legitdata.co/comp.lang.ada \
		comp.lang.ada
	public-inbox-index comp.lang.ada

Example config snippet for mirrors.


AGPL code for this site: git clone http://7fh6tueqddpjyxjmgtdiueylzoqt6pt7hec3pukyptlmohoowvhde4yd.onion/public-inbox.git