* Leaving damaged group
@ 2020-09-14  0:31 Roger Mc
From: Roger Mc @ 2020-09-14  0:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Unfortunately, I feel compelled to leave this previously  excellent group because of its invasion by sex industry terroisim.

* Re: Leaving damaged group
@ 2020-09-14  4:18 ` Paul Rubin
From: Paul Rubin @ 2020-09-14  4:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Roger Mc <rogermcm2@gmail.com> writes:
> Unfortunately, I feel compelled to leave this previously excellent
> group because of its invasion by sex industry terroisim.

I am able to automatically ignore that stuff, by lowering score (in
gnus) on all gmail posting addresses, then re-increasing score manually
for legitimate posters here who are unfortunate enough to use those
addresses.

* Re: Leaving damaged group
@ 2020-09-18 12:49   ` Roger Mc
From: Roger Mc @ 2020-09-18 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Monday, September 14, 2020 at 2:18:39 PM UTC+10, Paul Rubin wrote:
> Roger Mc <roge...@gmail.com> writes:
> > Unfortunately, I feel compelled to leave this previously excellent
> > group because of its invasion by sex industry terroisim.
> I am able to automatically ignore that stuff, by lowering score (in
> gnus) on all gmail posting addresses, then re-increasing score manually
> for legitimate posters here who are unfortunate enough to use those
> addresses.
Thanks Paul for your advice,
	Unfortunately, I do not seem to have the facilities that you mention.
I also realise that these offensive threads would normally be blocked by a moderator.
So it seems that this group does not have a moderator?

* Re: Leaving damaged group
@ 2020-09-18 14:13     ` Shark8
From: Shark8 @ 2020-09-18 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Friday, September 18, 2020 at 6:49:38 AM UTC-6, roge... wrote:
> On Monday, September 14, 2020 at 2:18:39 PM UTC+10, Paul Rubin wrote:
> > Roger Mc writes:
> > > Unfortunately, I feel compelled to leave this previously excellent
> > > group because of its invasion by sex industry terroisim.
> > I am able to automatically ignore that stuff, by lowering score (in
> > gnus) on all gmail posting addresses, then re-increasing score manually
> > for legitimate posters here who are unfortunate enough to use those
> > addresses.
> Thanks Paul for your advice,
> Unfortunately, I do not seem to have the facilities that you mention.
> I also realise that these offensive threads would normally be blocked by a moderator.
> So it seems that this group does not have a moderator?
It's an unmoderated newsgroup.
I used to access it through Thunderbird's newsgroup reader, but lost my access-provider and haven't found a suitable replacement; the "Google Groups" web-interface used to be decent enough as I didn't mind skipping the (more infrequent) trash... but the new "update" to it has left it in a nearly-unusable state. (For example: as I type this, there is strange screen-movement that seems to be the consequence of some genius capturing the "on key press" event and forcing a redraw.) Back to Thunderbird (and many actual newsreaders), there are often killfiles/blacklists that you can use to simply never see a post a particular user or particular topic, these are very useful for filtering junk out... and even now, Comp.Lang.Ada is far, far less junk than many other places for discussion.

* Re: Leaving damaged group
@ 2020-09-18 14:27     ` Dennis Lee Bieber
From: Dennis Lee Bieber @ 2020-09-18 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 18 Sep 2020 05:49:36 -0700 (PDT), Roger Mc <rogermcm2@gmail.com>
declaimed the following:

>	Unfortunately, I do not seem to have the facilities that you mention.
>I also realise that these offensive threads would normally be blocked by a moderator.
>So it seems that this group does not have a moderator?

	I take it you are using GoogleGroups to access this...

	You'll have to consider that not everything on GoogleGroups is a
"Google" "group". They mirror many Usenet newsgroups -- of which
comp.lang.ada is one. Traditionally, if a Usenet newsgroup was moderated,
it would have a .moderated in the name.

	Newsreaders, accessing using a NNTP news server, typically contain some
means of filtering posts (unfortunately, the one I use only permits
filtering on subject or author <G>). While I can easily killfile posts with
"@gmail.com", it is more complicated to then go back and allow specific
addresses (in truth, I've never tried).

	wlfraed@ix.netcom.com    http://wlfraed.microdiversity.freeddns.org/

* Re: Leaving damaged group
@ 2020-09-18 17:45       ` Jeffrey R. Carter
From: Jeffrey R. Carter @ 2020-09-18 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 9/18/20 4:13 PM, Shark8 wrote:

> I used to access it through Thunderbird's newsgroup reader, but lost my access-provider and haven't found a suitable replacement

I use Thunderbird with eternal-september.org. You have to sign up, but then it
works fine.
"Crucifixion's a doddle."
Monty Python's Life of Brian

* Re: Leaving damaged group
@ 2020-09-19  4:31         ` Roger Mc
From: Roger Mc @ 2020-09-19  4:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Saturday, September 19, 2020 at 3:45:36 AM UTC+10, Jeffrey R. Carter wrote:
> On 9/18/20 4:13 PM, Shark8 wrote:
> >
> > I used to access it through Thunderbird's newsgroup reader, but lost my access-provider and haven't found a suitable replacement
> I use Thunderbird with eternal-september.org. You have to sign up, but then it
> works fine.
> --
> Jeff Carter
> "Crucifixion's a doddle."
> Monty Python's Life of Brian
> 82

Thanks for advice,
I've installed Thunderbird email, trying to setup newsgroup reader,

* Re: Leaving damaged group
@ 2020-09-19  4:41         ` Roger Mc
From: Roger Mc @ 2020-09-19  4:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Saturday, September 19, 2020 at 3:45:36 AM UTC+10, Jeffrey R. Carter wrote:
> On 9/18/20 4:13 PM, Shark8 wrote:
> >
> > I used to access it through Thunderbird's newsgroup reader, but lost my access-provider and haven't found a suitable replacement
> I use Thunderbird with eternal-september.org. You have to sign up, but then it
> works fine.
> --
> Jeff Carter
> "Crucifixion's a doddle."
> Monty Python's Life of Brian
> 82

I've installed Thunderbird but can't find out how to access this group through Thunderbird's newsgroup reader.
Any assistance gratefully appreciated.

* Re: Leaving damaged group
@ 2020-09-19  7:31           ` Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2020-09-19  7:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 19/09/2020 06:41, Roger Mc wrote:
> On Saturday, September 19, 2020 at 3:45:36 AM UTC+10, Jeffrey R. Carter wrote:
>> On 9/18/20 4:13 PM, Shark8 wrote:
>>>
>>> I used to access it through Thunderbird's newsgroup reader, but lost my access-provider and haven't found a suitable replacement
>> I use Thunderbird with eternal-september.org. You have to sign up, but then it
>> works fine.
>> --
>> Jeff Carter
>> "Crucifixion's a doddle."
>> Monty Python's Life of Brian
>> 82
>
> I've installed Thunderbird but can't find out how to access this group through Thunderbird's newsgroup reader.
> Any assistance gratefully appreciated.

You can use aioe:

    https://www.aioe.org/

The page contains news server settings. Aioe supports both reading and
posting to c.l.a.

* Re: Leaving damaged group
@ 2020-09-19  8:54 ` Stéphane Rivière
From: Stéphane Rivière @ 2020-09-19  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le 14/09/2020 à 02:31, Roger Mc a écrit :
> Unfortunately, I feel compelled to leave this previously  excellent group because of its invasion by sex industry terroisim.

Roger,

Use Thunderdird (windows/osx/linux) > Top Menu > Tools > Messages Filters.

Just create a filter with an expressive name, like "Asshole filter" (sorry).

Fill it with theses key words : "Dating Married Sex Pussy Nudes Flirt
Flirting".

Enjoy a cleaned Ada group with no more annoying messages !

--
Be Seeing You
Number Six

* Re: Leaving damaged group
@ 2020-09-19  9:02 ` Stéphane Rivière
From: Stéphane Rivière @ 2020-09-19  9:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

My nntp.aioe.org account with thuundebird...

------------------
Menu > "Position and menu entry name depends on OS" > Account parameters
Accounts manager > Add another account

General
  Account name : nntp.aioe.org
  Name : Stéphane Rivière
  Email : stef@genesix.org
Server parameters
  Server name : nntp.aioe.org
  Port : 563
  Connexion security : SSL/TLS

Validate
------------------

Then, on the window's left nntp.aioe.org, right click, subscribe, choose
f.c.l.ada et voilà !

Hope this helps...

--
Be Seeing You
Number Six

* Re: Leaving damaged group
@ 2020-09-19  9:08           ` Grant Taylor
From: Grant Taylor @ 2020-09-19  9:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 9/18/20 10:41 PM, Roger Mc wrote:
> I've installed Thunderbird but can't find out how to access this
> group through Thunderbird's newsgroup reader.

I believe that Eternal-September puts people in a restricted mode by
default.  I think that you need to tell Thunderbird to always
authenticate to be able to access more than just eternal-september.* groups.

> Any assistance gratefully appreciated.

Try the following:

Edit -> Account Settings -> Eternal-September -> Server Settings ->
Always request authentication when connecting to this server.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die

* Re: Leaving damaged group
@ 2020-09-19 11:24   ` Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2020-09-19 11:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 19/09/2020 10:54, Stéphane Rivière wrote:
> Le 14/09/2020 à 02:31, Roger Mc a écrit :
>> Unfortunately, I feel compelled to leave this previously  excellent group because of its invasion by sex industry terroisim.
>
> Roger,
>
> Use Thunderdird (windows/osx/linux) > Top Menu > Tools > Messages Filters.
>
> Just create a filter with an expressive name, like "Asshole filter" (sorry).
>
> Fill it with theses key words : "Dating Married Sex Pussy Nudes Flirt
> Flirting".
>
> Enjoy a cleaned Ada group with no more annoying messages !

I found it easier to ignore threads (right click on the message). The
bot usually creates a thread and them disputes with itself.

* Re: Leaving damaged group
@ 2020-09-19 13:09     ` Stéphane Rivière
From: Stéphane Rivière @ 2020-09-19 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I found it easier to ignore threads (right click on the message). The
> bot usually creates a thread and them disputes with itself.

I dislike torturing bots.

Even preverts¹ bots.

¹ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ud9zBKJJQe4 (18s)

--
Be Seeing You
Number Six

* Re: Leaving damaged group
@ 2020-09-19 14:33   ` Jeffrey R. Carter
From: Jeffrey R. Carter @ 2020-09-19 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 9/19/20 10:54 AM, Stéphane Rivière wrote:

> Just create a filter with an expressive name, like "Asshole filter" (sorry).
>
> Fill it with theses key words : "Dating Married Sex Pussy Nudes Flirt
> Flirting".
>
> Enjoy a cleaned Ada group with no more annoying messages !

If only there were a way to filter these automated replies that contain nothing
but a quote of the original msg.

"C++ is like giving an AK-47 to a monk, shooting him
full of crack and letting him loose in a mall and
expecting him to balance your checking account
'when he has the time.'"
Drew Olbrich

* Re: Leaving damaged group
@ 2020-09-19 17:06     ` Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2020-09-19 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 19/09/2020 16:33, Jeffrey R. Carter wrote:
> On 9/19/20 10:54 AM, Stéphane Rivière wrote:
>>
>> Just create a filter with an expressive name, like "Asshole filter"
>> (sorry).
>>
>> Fill it with theses key words : "Dating Married Sex Pussy Nudes Flirt
>> Flirting".
>>
>> Enjoy a cleaned Ada group with no more annoying messages !
>
> If only there were a way to filter these automated replies that contain
> nothing but a quote of the original msg.

I have an idea. What about 10 filters "From" / "ends with":

    0@gmail.com
    1@gmail.com
    9@gmail.com

That should cover generated e-mail addresses (until they change the
pattern).

* Re: Leaving damaged group
@ 2020-09-19 18:51           ` Luke A. Guest
From: Luke A. Guest @ 2020-09-19 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 19/09/2020 05:31, Roger Mc wrote:
> On Saturday, September 19, 2020 at 3:45:36 AM UTC+10, Jeffrey R. Carter wrote:
>> On 9/18/20 4:13 PM, Shark8 wrote:
>>>
>>> I used to access it through Thunderbird's newsgroup reader, but lost my access-provider and haven't found a suitable replacement
>> I use Thunderbird with eternal-september.org. You have to sign up, but then it
>> works fine.
>> --
>> Jeff Carter
>> "Crucifixion's a doddle."
>> Monty Python's Life of Brian
>> 82
>
> Thanks for advice,
> I've installed Thunderbird email, trying to setup newsgroup reader,

In the accounts settings, create other account, then select newsgroup.

* Re: Leaving damaged group
@ 2020-09-20  0:01             ` Paul Rubin
From: Paul Rubin @ 2020-09-20  0:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Grant Taylor <gtaylor@tnetconsulting.net> writes:
> I believe that Eternal-September puts people in a restricted mode by
> default.

As I remember, you first have to get an eternal-september account (that
lets you read the newsgroup), and then request permission to post.  I
guess that is an anti-spam measure or something.  It's been some years
but I think I got posting permission right away (like the same day),
after asking for it.  I had had the account for a few days at the time.

* Re: Leaving damaged group
@ 2020-09-21 16:20     ` nobody in particular
From: nobody in particular @ 2020-09-21 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 18/09/2020 12:49, Roger Mc wrote:
> On Monday, September 14, 2020 at 2:18:39 PM UTC+10, Paul Rubin wrote:
>> Roger Mc <roge...@gmail.com> writes:
>>> Unfortunately, I feel compelled to leave this previously excellent
>>> group because of its invasion by sex industry terroisim.
>> I am able to automatically ignore that stuff, by lowering score (in
>> gnus) on all gmail posting addresses, then re-increasing score manually
>> for legitimate posters here who are unfortunate enough to use those
>> addresses.
> Thanks Paul for your advice,
> 	Unfortunately, I do not seem to have the facilities that you mention.
> I also realise that these offensive threads would normally be blocked by a moderator.
> So it seems that this group does not have a moderator?

It's usenet, it's distributed as in there is no one site that owns it,
there is no moderator.

But there is or should be an abuse contact in the offending post
headers. Have you reported the spam, off-topic posts?

* Re: Leaving damaged group
@ 2020-09-21 19:57       ` Grant Taylor
From: Grant Taylor @ 2020-09-21 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 9/21/20 10:20 AM, nobody in particular wrote:
> It's usenet, it's distributed as in there is no one site that owns it,
> there is no moderator.

Usenet (NNTP) does have a concept of moderation.  It's just seldom used
and doesn't work as one might think.

There are also ways to overcome it.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die

* Re: Leaving damaged group
@ 2020-09-23  7:16 ` Jesper Quorning
From: Jesper Quorning @ 2020-09-23  7:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

There is a google group called dk.comp.lang.ada. The main language is dansk/norsk but English is allowed.

Otherwise Telegram.

* Re: Leaving damaged group
@ 2020-09-23  8:08   ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2020-09-23  8:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jesper Quorning <jesper.quorning@gmail.com> writes:

> Otherwise Telegram.

I've said it before: Telegram is a poor substitute for an internet
newsgroup.

About this group: even Google Groups lets you mark the sex-related
threads as abusive and not see them thereafter. At the moment I see

* this thread
* a hidden abusive thread
* someone touting for captcha-related home working
* a hidden abusive thread
* a thread about CLU and Alphard grammars

* Re: Leaving damaged group
@ 2020-09-23  8:25     ` Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2020-09-23  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 23/09/2020 10:08, Simon Wright wrote:
> Jesper Quorning <jesper.quorning@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Otherwise Telegram.
>
> I've said it before: Telegram is a poor substitute for an internet
> newsgroup.

Give me every spam possible for any, even a benevolent moderation,
especially one from governments/big corporations.

BTW, let's look it positive. If someone considers an Ada newsgroup worth
spamming, that tells something! (:-))

* Re: Leaving damaged group
@ 2020-09-23 21:31     ` Jere
From: Jere @ 2020-09-23 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wednesday, September 23, 2020 at 4:08:17 AM UTC-4, Simon Wright wrote:
> Jesper Quorning  writes:
>
> > Otherwise Telegram.
>
> I've said it before: Telegram is a poor substitute for an internet
> newsgroup.
>
> About this group: even Google Groups lets you mark the sex-related
> threads as abusive and not see them thereafter. At the moment I see
>
> * this thread
> * a hidden abusive thread
> * someone touting for captcha-related home working
> * a hidden abusive thread
> * a thread about CLU and Alphard grammars

Note that:
Google groups only does this if you are signed into a google account.  I am
not allowed to use google accounts at work (people were using them to
bypass some security rules) and honestly I don't even like signing in at
home just to avoid the tracking across accounts (script blocking for other
types of tracking).  I did try to report abuse not logged in, but it requires a
login and then it only hides them if I am logged in, which is a shame.

* Re: Leaving damaged group
@ 2020-09-24  1:19   ` Wilson
From: Wilson @ 2020-09-24  1:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 9/23/2020 3:16 AM, Jesper Quorning wrote:
> There is a google group called dk.comp.lang.ada. The main language is dansk/norsk but English is allowed.
>
> Otherwise Telegram.

I  have had good luck so far using the filters in Thunderbird suggested
by an  earlier responder to this thread.

LEW

* Re: Leaving damaged group
@ 2020-09-26 10:19 ` findgirldating
From: findgirldating @ 2020-09-26 10:19 UTC (permalink / raw)