From: darwin.sura.net!source.asset.com!cernosek@gatech.edu  (Gary J. Cernosek)
Subject: Re: Computational scientists ignoring and ignored by Ada
Date: 2 Sep 93 20:10:24 GMT	[thread overview]

In article <CCnAw5.rt@cerc.wvu.edu> vanscoy@cs.wvu.wvnet.edu (Frances L VanScoy
) writes:
>We who have an appreciation for Ada and software engineering and
>experience in scientific computing need to continue to encourage
>parallel computer vendors and Ada compiler vendors to provide Ada
>compilers for parallel computers.

In an effort to build on the points being made in this thread,
I wanted to make reference to the latest Communications of the
ACM (Sept. '93).  The issue's theme is "Concurrent
Object-Oriented Programming."  After a quick glance through the
eight articles presented on the subject, I saw little mention
of Ada.  Now obviously, since Ada is not quite yet in the
category of an "object-oriented programming language," it might
make sense to exclude it in this issue.  But with the new OO
features of Ada 9X on the way, Ada could (and should) become a
real player in this barely touched market of integrating object
technology and concurrent programming.

We all know that in spite of its shortcomings in the tasking
model, Ada does represent 10+ years of experience with
concurrent programming within a STANDARD programming language.
I emphasize "standard" here because I see that several of the
CACM articles are based on unique, non-standard, or otherwise
disjoint extensions to existing languages.  This is indeed one
area in which Ada has a discriminator -- that is, in
integrating concurrent programming constructs directly into
the standard source code language.

The reason why I wanted to make these points is that I think
the Ada community should capitalize on both the technical and
the marketing opportunities associated with this subject.
Assuming one believes that the future of computing rests in
parallel processing technologies, and that the object paradigm
is here to stay (at least for a while), the convergence of the
two presents a real growth potential for languages such as
Ada.  I think that with Ada 9X enabling Ada to escape the "...but
it's not really object-oriented" syndrome, the next technical
(and marketing) challenges lie in exploring exactly how to
integrate Ada's new OO features with its old (and new) concurrent
programming mechanisms.

Now, I know that some work has already been done by Colin
Atkinson and David Weller in this very subject, and will in
fact appear in this year's Tri-Ada proceedings.  And there does
indeed appear to be some significant technical issues facing
the integration effort.  However, with all of the (mostly
negative) rhetoric that I see in this newsgroup regarding Ada's
marketability, I thought I'd try to generate some discussion on
what to do about the future of Ada that doesn't pertain to the
mandate issue :-).

--
Gary J. Cernosek
Fastrak Training Inc.