From: adaed@arcangel.demon.co.uk (Peter Burwood)
Subject: Re: Free Software using AdaEd (Announcement)
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 1994 23:42:50 +0000
Date: 1994-09-22T23:42:50+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <35isnu$qce@felix.seas.gwu.edu> mfeldman@seas.gwu.edu (Michael Feldman) writes:

> In article <Cw6LCr.4LK@clw.cs.man.ac.uk>,
> Charles Lindsey <chl@clw.cs.man.ac.uk> wrote:
> >
> >	Announcement of goodies available by ftp from
> >		ftp.cs.man.ac.uk:/pub/chl/LEDGER
> >
> >This is an attempt to demonstrate that free software written in Ada is a
> >practical proposition. It is based on the free AdaEd interpreted Ada system
> >available from NYU.
>
> This is GREAT! Thanks for doing it!
>
> Mike Feldman

Seconded.

Now a question...

I recently ported Ada/Ed 1.11.0a to the Acorn range of computers(*)
running RISC OS and I mailed adaed@cs.nyu.edu to register the port. All I
received back from two emails was what looked like an automated
acknowledgement. This led me to the, perhaps erroneous, conclusion that
Ada/Ed was no longer supported or developed.

I would love to hear that Ada/Ed is still maintained since I have some bugs
to report which I would like to have fixed.

Following Charles' message I picked up the newer version of Ada/Ed (1.11.2)
and I have managed to port this also (a couple of days work). I also notice
version 1.11.2 doesn't have the VAX/VMS or Amiga ports included. This isn't
really a problem, just an observation, but I wonder whether the changes for
the Acorn port can be included in the main distribution and whether they
will stay once put in ?

Finally, is there a newer address for Ada/Ed communication, or do I need to
wait for GAS to support Acorn machines (soon I hope) and then use GNAT ?

regards,
Pete
-- Email: pjb@arcangel.demon.co.uk

(*) The Acorn range of computers use the ARM RISC processor and brought
    RISC processing power to the desktop in 1987, 7 years before Apple.