From: lpb@sei.cmu.edu (Loic Briand)
Subject: DEC Ada for Alpha Computers
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 1994 12:15:15 EDT
Date: 1994-09-15T12:15:15-04:00	[thread overview]

(This is posted for a friend, but you can answer to me)

We are using DEC Ada (native) on DEC Alpha computers under OSF1 Version 3. The
compiler environment has a couple of noticeable flaws, specially the debugger
which does know anything about the Ada specifics (e.g., generic instances,
record components...).
DEC is using the same technique for OSF1 that for VMS: compilers share the
same backend, which makes possible to link easily several languages in one
executable and to debug all of them, the debugger "adapting" its interface to
the language encounterred at a given point. In other word, the debugger is
language independent: there is only one DEC/OSF1 debugger as there was only
one DEC/VMS debugger.
The problem is that the debugger needs to have a couple of specific features
implemented for each language. It looks like they were not implemented for Ada
(as they were not implemented if I remember correctly in the first versions
of DEC Ada/VMS). Note also that the debugger is working great with C.

Considering that:
1. There are rumours about DEC health (not much money available to improve the
   existing products - lets concentrate on vital stuff like OSF1 ?),
2. There are rumours that DEC's Ada technology would be bought by Rational
   (is it worth to spend money on a department which will be sold anyway?).
3. DEC Alpha is not exactly a popular host/target,
4. The market for a new Ada83 compiler is dim (9X is happening - why
   invest on Ada83 anymore?),
5. The market for Ada is dim (sad but true),
6. DEC does not provide much information about their plans for Ada/OSF1 (out
   of the usual commercial crap),

is it realistic to hope that DEC will ever fix the problem? If yes, when?
Is there any alternate solution available today? (I know that Verdix--I mean
Rational has plans for Ada/Alpha but this it not available yet).

The program that needs badly a complete Ada/Alpha environment is currently in
a phase of porting 100.000's LOC from DEC Ada/VMS & Verdix/VMS to Alpha.
This is impossible without a debugger that recognizes at least generic
instances.

Any help will be appreciated.

BTW, is GNAT ported on Alpha?  :-)

--   Loic Briand    lpb@sei.cmu.edu      Office 3308      (412) 268-6674  --