From: Mr. Caffiene <nospam@attbi.com>
Subject: Re: Help! (Ada/Integrity/PEG)
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 15:35:52 GMT
Date: 2001-12-21T15:35:52+00:00	[thread overview]

On Fri, 21 Dec 2001 15:31:10 -0000
"TAMS Team" <tamsteam@rolls-royce-rps.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> We're just about to start our project using Integrity/AdaMulti to code the
> main part of the application, with PEG as our GUI designer.  The target
> hardware will be a Radstone PPC4 board.  The (Ada) application will decode
> serial data coming from a remote processor to generate the screen layouts
> and softkeys (and changes to their properties, e.g. text contents), and
> encode serial data to send back to the remote processor which will
> essentially only contain information about softkey presses and status flags
> from the screen hardware.  All the PEG task is required to do is to display
> the appropriate windows or softkeys.
>
> Our first hurdle to overcome is how to get the main application task talking
> to the GUI task.  We're not quite sure how to get started, but I think we've
> convinced ourselves we may have to use some form of messaging.  However,
> we're not certain of the form of messaging - i.e. typically how do you send
> a message to the RTOS message queue, what form is it, and how does PEG pull
> it from the queue?
>
> Any advice (or even sample code!) greatly received!
>
> (Please assume we're complete novices with absolutely no experience using
> this combination of products, and you'll be pretty close to the truth!)

Is the main application task coded in Ada or another language. If written in another language, you would want to use the the standard Ada "Interfaces" libraries to communicate with the task.(Assuming I understand what your saying.)
Also, rather than using messaging, you could use a storage pool controlled by a "semaphore" of sorts, which might be much more efficient. A stack of some sort would probably be the fastest method, but also the most troublesome to work with.(Unless you happen to be using Forth. Heh.)

A little more detail(if at all possible) on what your doing would enable us(or at least me) to provide a little more pertinent advice.(I use to do C coding on RTEMS, another RTOS. Thank G-d I discovered Ada. Heh.)