From: slinky.cs.nyu.edu!slinky.cs.nyu.edu!nobody@nyu.edu  (Robert Dewar)
Subject: Re: Query about monitor (passive) task optimization
Date: 10 Aug 93 13:51:02 GMT	[thread overview]

Mike, one point that I keep making. It is absolutely NOT fair to paint all
Ada vendors as entirely defence oriented. In fact Alsys was founded by JDI
on the principle of specifically going after the non-military market. While
this succeeded fairly well in France, it was of limited success in the US.
I think part of the problem is that even though there were some successes
(you have the list!) compiler companies for any compiler for any language
have a heck of a hard time making money. It is true that Alsys has turned
to the defence industry more in recent years -- you go where the money is
in any business. It may also be true that Alsys did not make the right
decisions, who knows? but it is truly unfair to include Alsys in your
blanket criticism of Ada companies attitudes.

I suspect the criticism is also inappropriate for several other Ada vendors,
but I am not close enough to speak for them so I will let them speak for
themselves [just an example: Rational's involvement with the new government
information system in Singapore seems to me a clear counter-example and I
think there are probably many others].