From: agate!spool.mu.edu!sdd.hp.com!col.hp.com!csn!news.sinet.slb.com!news.lond on.sinet.slb.com!lodge@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (Mathew Lodge)
Subject: Re: One DoD programmer's hostility towards Ada and the Mandate
Date: 6 Sep 93 16:44:34 GMT	[thread overview]

In article <CCxu75.4AA@world.std.com> srctran@world.std.com (Gregory Aharonian)
 writes:
>     Attached is a comment from someone who is representative of the type
>of uniformed and civilian personnel who actually get the programming work
>done inside the DoD.  The comments are comments you will not hear for the
>most part publicly in the Mandated world, but probably reflect the sentiments
>of large numbers of actual DoD programmers.

Why "probably"? How do you know?

> Greg Aharonian                                      srctran@world.std.com
> Source Translation & Optimization                            617-489-3727
> P.O. Box 404, Belmont, MA 02178
>
>> It was not an organized plot to undermine the ADA mandate, the language and
>>performance does that already, but rather is deals with reality.  The ADA
>>mandate is basicly a flop. In my community, real time graphics, the only
>>ones who are using it are the ones who have too.  And if you check closely,
>>alot of them are doing alot of the other stuff in C, C++, or even FORTRAN.
>>Your comment about ADA not being the language of choice is very true. I
>>have talked to no one, outside of academic software engineers, who like it.

etc. etc. etc....

Posting stuff like this is meaningless. So you know someone who doesn't like
using Ada, and who doesn't know anyone who does. I like using Ada (and
I'm not an academic software engineer) and I know other people who do.

So what? Neither of our personal beliefs proves anything.

>> I find it very interesting that the ADA advocates have to find programs
>>that succeed when they use ADA. Are they, so insecure about the choice of
>>programming languages that they have to brag about the success?

It's a lose-lose situation. People say "no-one programs in Ada". So people
like Mike Feldman produce a list to show that they do. Then you get the
"Ada people must be insecure because they need to produce a list of Ada
projects".

Mathew Lodge
Software Engineer
Schlumberger Technologies ATE