comp.lang.ada
 help / color / Atom feed
* Searchable comp.lang.ada archive dating back to 1982
@ 2020-06-18  2:39 Jeremy Grosser
  2020-06-18  6:41 ` briot.emmanuel
  2020-06-18  8:14 ` Nasser M. Abbasi
  0 siblings, 2 replies; 5+ messages in thread
From: Jeremy Grosser @ 2020-06-18  2:39 UTC (permalink / raw)


I'm not fond of Google Groups, so I built my own archive.

https://archive.legitdata.co/comp.lang.ada/

Sources:

  UTZOO tapes
  1982 - 1991
  https://archive.org/details/utzoo-wiseman-usenet-archive

  Usenet Historical Collection
  1993 - 2013
  https://archive.org/details/usenethistorical

  Eternal September NNTP
  2012 - Current
  http://www.eternal-september.org/

The earliest messages here were copied from the net.lang.ada group, which was renamed to comp.lang.ada in 1986. If you have messages from either of these groups that aren't in the archive, I'd love to include them.

Where practical, an additional Date header has been added to each message in ISO 8601 format to aid in chronological sorting. Where no timezone was given, UTC is assumed. Early messages routed via UUCP were often delayed by days as indicated by the difference between the Posted and Date-Received timestamps. In most cases, I use the value from the Posted timestamp.

A spam filter has been applied to the archive. Many thousands of advertisements for prescription drugs, sex acts, spiritual salvation, and prejudice have been removed. I do not wish to host this type of content and are actively working to train better filters and remove spam that slipped through.

This archive is updated hourly via NNTP.

--
Jeremy Grosser

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

* Re: Searchable comp.lang.ada archive dating back to 1982
  2020-06-18  2:39 Searchable comp.lang.ada archive dating back to 1982 Jeremy Grosser
@ 2020-06-18  6:41 ` briot.emmanuel
  2020-06-18  7:48   ` jgrosser
  2020-06-18  8:14 ` Nasser M. Abbasi
  1 sibling, 1 reply; 5+ messages in thread
From: briot.emmanuel @ 2020-06-18  6:41 UTC (permalink / raw)


> https://archive.legitdata.co/comp.lang.ada/

Impressive work ! Well done

When we click on a message (for instance the very first message from Robert Dewar, https://archive.legitdata.co/comp.lang.ada/[email protected]/) the date doesn't seem to be visible (it is in the summary window, 1983 in this case).

I note that for most other messages it is visible though !

The first message that contains "GNAT" is from Tucker Taft in 1993.
Not sure whether there was a formal announcement for the birth of GNAT.

In any case, some fun reading to be had for historically-inclined people.

Emmanuel

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

* Re: Searchable comp.lang.ada archive dating back to 1982
  2020-06-18  6:41 ` briot.emmanuel
@ 2020-06-18  7:48   ` jgrosser
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 5+ messages in thread
From: jgrosser @ 2020-06-18  7:48 UTC (permalink / raw)


On Wednesday, June 17, 2020 at 11:41:34 PM UTC-7, [email protected] wrote:
> > https://archive.legitdata.co/comp.lang.ada/
> 
> Impressive work ! Well done
> 
> When we click on a message (for instance the very first message from Robert Dewar, https://archive.legitdata.co/comp.lang.ada/[email protected]/) the date doesn't seem to be visible (it is in the summary window, 1983 in this case).
> 
> I note that for most other messages it is visible though !
> 
> The first message that contains "GNAT" is from Tucker Taft in 1993.
> Not sure whether there was a formal announcement for the birth of GNAT.
> 
> In any case, some fun reading to be had for historically-inclined people.
> 
> Emmanuel

Thanks for the feedback! I've the missing date issue for messages where there was no Date header, only a Posted header.

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

* Re: Searchable comp.lang.ada archive dating back to 1982
  2020-06-18  2:39 Searchable comp.lang.ada archive dating back to 1982 Jeremy Grosser
  2020-06-18  6:41 ` briot.emmanuel
@ 2020-06-18  8:14 ` Nasser M. Abbasi
  2020-06-18  8:34   ` jgrosser
  1 sibling, 1 reply; 5+ messages in thread
From: Nasser M. Abbasi @ 2020-06-18  8:14 UTC (permalink / raw)


On 6/17/2020 9:39 PM, Jeremy Grosser wrote:
> I'm not fond of Google Groups, so I built my own archive.
> 
> https://archive.legitdata.co/comp.lang.ada/
> 
> Sources:
> 
>    UTZOO tapes
>    1982 - 1991
>    https://archive.org/details/utzoo-wiseman-usenet-archive
> 
>    Usenet Historical Collection
>    1993 - 2013
>    https://archive.org/details/usenethistorical
> 
>    Eternal September NNTP
>    2012 - Current
>    http://www.eternal-september.org/
> 
> The earliest messages here were copied from the net.lang.ada group, which was renamed to comp.lang.ada in 1986. If you have messages from either of these groups that aren't in the archive, I'd love to include them.
> 
> Where practical, an additional Date header has been added to each message in ISO 8601 format to aid in chronological sorting. Where no timezone was given, UTC is assumed. Early messages routed via UUCP were often delayed by days as indicated by the difference between the Posted and Date-Received timestamps. In most cases, I use the value from the Posted timestamp.
> 
> A spam filter has been applied to the archive. Many thousands of advertisements for prescription drugs, sex acts, spiritual salvation, and prejudice have been removed. I do not wish to host this type of content and are actively working to train better filters and remove spam that slipped through.
> 
> This archive is updated hourly via NNTP.
> 
> --
> Jeremy Grosser
> 


Very nice and good job. Thanks for doing this.

Did you use Ada to do the above? Or just pure javascript or
other software?

--Nasser

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

* Re: Searchable comp.lang.ada archive dating back to 1982
  2020-06-18  8:14 ` Nasser M. Abbasi
@ 2020-06-18  8:34   ` jgrosser
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 5+ messages in thread
From: jgrosser @ 2020-06-18  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw)


On Thursday, June 18, 2020 at 1:15:01 AM UTC-7, Nasser M. Abbasi wrote:
> On 6/17/2020 9:39 PM, Jeremy Grosser wrote:
> > I'm not fond of Google Groups, so I built my own archive.
> > 
> > https://archive.legitdata.co/comp.lang.ada/
> > 
> > Sources:
> > 
> >    UTZOO tapes
> >    1982 - 1991
> >    https://archive.org/details/utzoo-wiseman-usenet-archive
> > 
> >    Usenet Historical Collection
> >    1993 - 2013
> >    https://archive.org/details/usenethistorical
> > 
> >    Eternal September NNTP
> >    2012 - Current
> >    http://www.eternal-september.org/
> > 
> > The earliest messages here were copied from the net.lang.ada group, which was renamed to comp.lang.ada in 1986. If you have messages from either of these groups that aren't in the archive, I'd love to include them.
> > 
> > Where practical, an additional Date header has been added to each message in ISO 8601 format to aid in chronological sorting. Where no timezone was given, UTC is assumed. Early messages routed via UUCP were often delayed by days as indicated by the difference between the Posted and Date-Received timestamps. In most cases, I use the value from the Posted timestamp.
> > 
> > A spam filter has been applied to the archive. Many thousands of advertisements for prescription drugs, sex acts, spiritual salvation, and prejudice have been removed. I do not wish to host this type of content and are actively working to train better filters and remove spam that slipped through.
> > 
> > This archive is updated hourly via NNTP.
> > 
> > --
> > Jeremy Grosser
> > 
> 
> 
> Very nice and good job. Thanks for doing this.
> 
> Did you use Ada to do the above? Or just pure javascript or
> other software?
> 
> --Nasser

At the moment, I'm using public-inbox [1], which is a horrifying mess of Perl scripts. Now that I've got all of the archives in a reasonably consistent format, I do plan to rewrite it in Ada.

The only JavaScript involved at the moment is for obfuscating email addresses from naive crawlers, which the public-inbox maintainers felt was necessary.

[1] https://public-inbox.org/README.html

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

end of thread, other threads:[~2020-06-18  8:34 UTC | newest]

Thread overview: 5+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2020-06-18  2:39 Searchable comp.lang.ada archive dating back to 1982 Jeremy Grosser
2020-06-18  6:41 ` briot.emmanuel
2020-06-18  7:48   ` jgrosser
2020-06-18  8:14 ` Nasser M. Abbasi
2020-06-18  8:34   ` jgrosser

comp.lang.ada

Archives are clonable: git clone --mirror https://archive.legitdata.co/comp.lang.ada

Example config snippet for mirrors


AGPL code for this site: git clone https://public-inbox.org/public-inbox.git