From: Dennis Lee Bieber <wlfraed@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: gprbuild -j8 on Windows 8.1?
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2019 11:47:31 -0400
Date: 2019-06-13T11:47:31-04:00	[thread overview]

On Wed, 12 Jun 2019 20:10:02 -0700 (PDT), Stephen Leake
<stephen_leake@stephe-leake.org> declaimed the following:

>I'm using GNAT Community 2018.
>
>I have a main program that takes an annoyingly long time to compile, so I tried

	How many .adb files make up that program? As I read the documentation

>gprbuild -j8

... mainly spawn separate compilers; for a single program it still uses a
single binder/linker process. If most of your time is in the binder/linker,
the option probably won't gain you much time.

	Even if it does help some, take into account that you will have process
startup time for each compiler that gets spawned, along with potential I/O
contention. If a lot of the .adb files are fairly small, the startup time
may be a significant factor.

	wlfraed@ix.netcom.com    http://wlfraed.microdiversity.freeddns.org/