From: brett@i.enet.dec.com (Bevin R. Brett)
Subject: Re: Ada 9X features
Date: 9 SEP 94 18:52:51 EST
Date: 1994-09-09T18:52:51-05:00	[thread overview]

In article <940908231244_73672.2025_DHR48-1@CompuServe.COM>, Ken Garlington <73672.2025@COMPUSERVE.COM> writes...
>I would disagree with Bevin Brett's assessment of Ada 9X requirements bloat in
>one area: the ability to have access values that don't reference the heap. We

All that was required to satisfy this was a Foo'access attribute and a
pragma accessed(Foo).

Instead we got an incredible collection of general access types, lifetime
checking rules, 'unchecked_access, etc.

The ability to detect violations of lifetimes should have been left to
the implementor to do if the market really wanted it.

I agree that the fundamental reqt had to be met (there is probably a couple
of other oversights too in my list - for example a simple access-to-subprogram
was also needed) but the satisfaction of that requirement is an excellent
example of feature bloat.,

/Bevin

ps: I am somewhat surprised at the quietness of the reaction to what I thought
was a very radical position for a DR to be taking publicly - perhaps more
people agree with me than I guessed.