From: aschwarz@acm.org (skidmarks)
Subject: Re: Singular Value Decomposition (SVD) Ada Algorithm
Date: 30 Oct 2004 23:59:09 -0700
Date: 2004-10-30T23:59:09-07:00	[thread overview]

> I have a considerable collection of publicly available Ada libraries,
> and I find that there is one that defines an SVD:
>
> You can acquire the Drexel U Matrix Math items from
> http://dflwww.ece.drexel.edu/research/ada/
> They are marked:
> -- Copyright (c) Drexel University, 1996                       --
> -- Data Fusion Laboratory                                      --
> -- Electrical and Computer Engineering Department              --
> -- $AUTHORS: Chris Papademetrious, Xiaoxun Zhu, Moshe Kam
>
> Their package  Generic_Real_Arrays.Operations defines a subprogram
> "Singular_Value_Decomposition".
>
> This might be what you want!

Thank you. I haven't looked closely but have looked enough (to say) it
seems to be what I need.

By-the-by, any reason that you made it a generic package? More a
loaded question than you'd expect. What I tend to do, and to encourage
others to do, is to separate what needs to be 'generic' from what
needs not be 'generic' but is required for the generic package to
execute. In my own (very recent experience) I developed a
doubly-linked list. List management is a normal package body. The
generic package provides space, in the generic body, and interfaces to
the non-generic list manager. The effect is to have a no-cost generic
package interfacing with a shared non-generic package. (And so I'm on
a mission - sigh).

Anyway. Thanks.

art