From: Martin Krischik <martin@krischik.com>
Subject: Re: Wiki on Ada
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2004 09:45:41 +0100
Date: 2004-11-09T09:45:41+01:00	[thread overview]

Jeffrey Carter wrote:

> Martin Krischik wrote:
>
>> Yes, that's the one. But Matthew  relies on the existence of a final
>> CR/LF - either physicly in the file or logicly provided by the particular
>> Ada implementation - Only GNAT does not provide one. And that means you
>> have to handle the End_Of_File exception as well.
>
> Of course, CR/LF is unique to DOS/Windows. Randy thinks this is a
> compiler error, since the ARM requires logical line and page terminators
> at the end of file. Both GNAT and ObjectAda V7.2.2 SE have this problem;
> Randy says that Janus Ada does not.
>
> Note that PragmARC.Get_Line has been in use since 1991, and there have
> been no reports of this problem being encountered in actual use.

Well I don't think that anybody else has send a few thouthent C++ source
files thru Get_Line.

As you might know: The main part of AdaCL is a text filter framework. Mainly
used for C++ source-file refactoring. When it comes to string handling and
Text_IO I have seen it all - event he most esoteric bugs.

I used the AdaCL text filters for more the a month before I noticed the
first file which did not have a last line any more. The bug is indeed very
sparce - bit it did happen in actual use.

So

With Regards

Martin
--