From: "David W. Glessner" <dwglessn@collins.rockwell.com>
To: Robert Dewar <robert_dewar@my-deja.com>
Subject: Re: Simple Case Study in Types. Chords.
Date: 1999/12/06
Date: 1999-12-06T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Robert Dewar wrote:

> In article <829qci$ctj$1@nntp8.atl.mindspring.net>,
>   Richard D Riehle <laoXhai@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> > the violin family is the ability to play the subtle difference
> > between, say, an  G Sharp and an A Flat.
>
> That's misleading, it implies that there are still absolute
> values for G sharp and A flat, but the whole point of course
> is that these values vary depending on what key you are playing
> in, so it is not nearly as simple as that!

I'm not sure what you're getting at here.

I think Richard's point was that, except for equal temperament,
there is a limitation in using only 12 tones in a scale;
namely, you can't differentiate between, say, a sharped fifth
and a flatted sixth.  We normally think that G-sharp and A-flat
are the same, but "it ain't necessarily so."

Check out pages like
http://www.globetrotter.net/gt/usagers/roule/accord.htm
and http://www.rev.net/people/aloe/music/temperament.html
for more information.

Is anyone aware of any freely available Ada packages that can be
used to mess around with a sound card on a Win98 or Linux/Intel PC?

--
David