From: hoaglund@aol.com (Hoaglund)
Subject: Re: Interface Ada with Oracle
Date: 25 Oct 1994 22:49:04 -0400
Date: 1994-10-25T22:49:04-04:00	[thread overview]

In article <389mi6$ql0@newsbf01.news.aol.com>, wlawton@aol.com (WLawton)
writes:
>I have spent the last two weeks attempting to discuss Ada-9x and GNAT
with
>the good (?) people at Oracle.  Out of three technical reps, four
>salespeople, and two semi-managers, I found ONE who knew what Ada was.

This whole thread is filling me with dread. I am on a new project that is
attempting a blind leap forward into using a commercial database (almost
certainly Oracle) instead of using our old mainframe based homegrown
FORTRAN database.  We have 1 Oracle expert who has never used Ada and a
bunch of former FORTRAN- now- Ada programmers who have never used a RDBMS.
 Now I hear that the tool we need to use to interface is going to come
from a place without decent Ada credentials???  Oh-oh!!

Is there anybody out there that has experience using Ada as the outside
shell to connect to a RDBMS inside?  The Oracle sales people talk a good
talk about Ada support, but do they really?  The initial limited
development system we have is Oracle, but the final decision is not in on
what will be delivered at the end.

Cathy Hoaglund  (not speaking for my employer)
hoaglund@aol.com