From: Pat Van Canada <google@spellingbeewinnars.org>
Subject: Re: Accessing Addresses in a Passed String
Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2022 11:40:42 -0800 (PST)	[thread overview]

Hi Dmitry

Thanks. So here is what I am playing around with. There is an ncurses Ada binding and a binding to a the Forms library but I am trying to do something a little different.

The basic problem is to collect user input and assign characters back to many string variables in one go.

I tried some simple experiments with all of the code in one procedure and everything was okay, but I am trying to convert it into a sensible package and the passing of strings is an issue, it is no longer easy to obtain the address of each character for use later.

I want to call a procedure to load each string into an intermediate data structure but I do not want to have to pass them all back to have their values to be updated. I figured with the screen co-ordinates and addresses I could avoid this.

I don't really want to start with pointer arithmetic or similar but I also need the strings to have their values updated without the second batch of passing .

Thanks-Pat