From: Jacob Sparre Andersen <sparre@nbi.dk>
Subject: Re: Slices of 2d arrays? +HPF
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 15:04:22 +0200
Date: 2002-07-25T15:04:22+02:00	[thread overview]

Peter Hermann wrote:

> I am unhappy with the fact, that Ada does not gain terrain
> in the realm of high performance computing/fortran (HPF).

I agree that it would be nice to see Ada gain more terrain
in the realm of high performance computing, but the only
question I have seen from a beginner in Ada this week, was
in the area of scientific (and most likely also high
performance) computing, so things are bad everywhere.

 > Those "customers" seem to be entirely satisfied with their
 > fortran neverending story.

I am not sure that they are aware of any better solutions.

One should also consider the cost of converting a piece of
software which nobody understands why works (both the Danish
and the joint European weather forecast systems appear to be
in this category) to anything else. I do not think it is
realistic to convert this kind of software, but new
development in the realms of scientific and high performance
computing is certainly a worthwhile target for expansion of
the use of Ada.

Jacob
--
Do you have a job for a physicist with experience in:

  * Complex systems (mostly turbulence experiments)
  * Geoscience (a bit of oceanography and geology)
  * Programming (mostly in Ada and Pascal)