From: dewar@cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar)
Subject: Re: Systemless use of 'Address.
Date: 12 Nov 1994 15:38:39 -0500
Date: 1994-11-12T15:38:39-05:00	[thread overview]

Actually I don't see why you would expect a "with" of System to be required,
since no entity from system is mentioned, and hence accessibility to
System is not required.

The use of the 'Address attribute in the absence of visibility into System
is certainly a little peculiar. A strict reading of 1815 probably indicates
that there is no requirement for package system to be present, but this is
obviously peculiar, and AI-00043/08-BI-WA addresses this issue by requiring
that the unit using 'Address must depend directly or indirectly on System
(but still does not require an explicit with of system). Ada 9X makes this
rule a clear part of the language.

Note: I stronly recommend having at hand a copy of the Annotated Ada
Reference Manual from Karl Nyberg if you are still using Ada 83. It's well
layed out, and allows you to answer questions like this, complete with
appropriate AI references, easily.