* Question about alire
@ 2022-09-10  6:11 reinert
From: reinert @ 2022-09-10  6:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I am newbe on using alire. I installed "alr" and it functions as hoped for.

Q1:
where is the the compiler? As part of "alr"?

Q2:
"alr toolchain" gives:
 CRATE       VERSION       STATUS    NOTES
 gprbuild    22.0.1        Default
 gprbuild    2021.0.0+0778 Available Provided by system package: gprbuild
 gnat_native 12.1.2        Default

Where do I find overview on what is in "gnat_native 12.1.2" (I assume it is the latest compiler version). Many Ada 2022 features there?

Q3:
How do I keep updated with the latest version (of the compiler)?

reinert

* Re: Question about alire
@ 2022-09-10  8:07 ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2022-09-10  8:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

reinert <reinkor@gmail.com> writes:

> I am newbe on using alire. I installed "alr" and it functions as hoped
> for.

Great!

> Q1:
> where is the the compiler? As part of "alr"?

You can find it (on a Unix machine, not sure about Windows) by

  alr exec -- which gcc

If (again) you're on a Unix machine, it'll be under
~/.config/alire/cache/dependencies.

See https://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-12/changes.html (scroll down to the Ada section).

> Q3:
> How do I keep updated with the latest version (of the compiler)?

I _think_

  alr index --update-all
  alr toolchain --select

should do it

* Re: Question about alire
@ 2022-09-11  6:58   ` reinert
From: reinert @ 2022-09-11  6:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

lørdag 10. september 2022 kl. 10:07:25 UTC+2 skrev Simon Wright:
> reinert <rei...@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > I am newbe on using alire. I installed "alr" and it functions as hoped
> > for.
> Great!
> > Q1:
> > where is the the compiler? As part of "alr"?
> You can find it (on a Unix machine, not sure about Windows) by
>
> alr exec -- which gcc
>
> If (again) you're on a Unix machine, it'll be under
> ~/.config/alire/cache/dependencies.
> > Q2:
> > "alr toolchain" gives:
> > CRATE VERSION STATUS NOTES
> > gprbuild 22.0.1 Default
> > gprbuild 2021.0.0+0778 Available Provided by system package: gprbuild
> > gnat_native 12.1.2 Default
> >
> > Where do I find overview on what is in "gnat_native 12.1.2" (I assume
> > it is the latest compiler version). Many Ada 2022 features there?
> See https://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-12/changes.html (scroll down to the Ada section).
> > Q3:
> > How do I keep updated with the latest version (of the compiler)?
> I _think_
>
> alr index --update-all
> alr toolchain --select
>
> should do it