From: dewar@cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar)
Subject: Re: Help with gnat IO
Date: 29 Nov 1994 17:05:34 -0500
Date: 1994-11-29T17:05:34-05:00	[thread overview]

Woodrew, first please read the documentation, which specifically asks
that you send copies of all questions on GNAT to gnat-report@cs.nyu.edu.

Second, if you are reading the July 1980 version of the reference manual,
you qualify as an Ada historian, this is an interim version that was never
finalized, and the final version is different in important respects, so you
had better get a relevant version of the standard. Better still, since you
are obviously running into pretty elementary problems, you will do better
with a good book on Ada, such as the one by John Barnes.

To use integer_io, you must with text_io and then instantiate integer_io
(there will be examples in any Ada text book, follow them). Alternatively
use the string put with Integer'Image(value).

There is no Get_String function (was there really a procedure with that
name in Ada 80??) There are however versions of get that get from a string,
which is presumably what you are looking for. For example:

      procedure Get
        (From : in String;
         Item : out Num;
         Last : out Positive);

this is a subprogram inside the generic package Integer_IO.

I posted this just because I thought people would be entertained at the
idea of an Ada beginner somehow getting hold of the July 1980 version of
the RM! Perhaps we should have burnt all the copies :-)