From: dewar@cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar)
Subject: cross-posting and selling Ada
Date: 6 Dec 1994 08:31:29 -0500
Date: 1994-12-06T08:31:29-05:00	[thread overview]

For some time now a thread has been running called "Why large companies
don't use Ada", which has been heavily cross-posted.

Many of the posts are Ada specific, and many are from people supporting
Ada. Yet, we are all sending out a barrage of messages to multiple
newsgroups over and over again emphasizing that large companies don't
use Ada.

I think it would be useful if at least all the posters to CLA would be
careful with this thread. Change both the subject and the cross-list
post to avoid sending out unintentional negative messages and annoying
other newsgroup readers with ireelevant Ada messages.

No one is forcing or asking anyone to support Ada in any way, but it seems
worth taking the effort to avoid sending negative publicity by accident :-)

If readers of C++ newsgroups etc see a long sequence of known Ada people
sending out dozens of messages at least tacitly aggreing to the subject
post, they are bound to assume that it is correct.

Sure it is the case that not many large companies are using Ada, but it
would sure be nice if the subject had read something like

"Why aren't more large companies using Ada"

or

"Why don't more large companies see the benefits of Ada"

or something even more neutral!

Robert Dewar
"Working hard, but according to my records, I seem to have missed my 30%
message quota for CLA nearly every day for the last 1000 days!"