From: dewar@cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar)
Subject: Re: GNAT for OS/2
Date: 26 Feb 1995 08:20:22 -0500
Date: 1995-02-26T08:20:22-05:00	[thread overview]

"Does anyone know what happened to the OS/2 version of GNAT ..."

Well, let's see, it is just possible that the GNAT folks might know, hmm!
wonder why this chap is not sending the note to gnat-report, where he would
have got a direct reply right away from Bernard Banner who is doing the port?

Seriously,  please ALWAYS copy questions about GNAT to gnat-report. Not all
the GNAT team reads comp.lang.ada, and for me it is MUCH lower priority to
read CLA than to stay on top of the gnat-request list.

Still, this particular question is of general interest, so here is a status
update on the OS/2 version.

Right now, we are going through a minor earthquake on the OS/2 version,
because we are switching to the EMX release of GCC, and building on top of
that, rather than our previous adaptation of the native release. Ther are
great advantages in this switch, most notably, it means that gdb (the GCC
debugger) will be available under OS/2 for the first time.

However, it means that all the system build tools, make files, release
procedures, packaging up and distribution procedures have to be redone,
and that is taking some time. We have the port up and running, and the
latest version is successfully bootstrapped. We are now just a couple of
days away from making the release.

Sorry for the discombobulation, but we wanted to get the EMX release out
as soon as possible, so we did not want to delay things by spending time
getting 2.0x out under the old release. Hopefully it will be worth the
wait ...