From: Laurent <lutgenl@icloud.com>
Subject: Re: Some advice required [OT]
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2021 04:29:06 -0800 (PST)	[thread overview]

On Monday, 27 December 2021 at 12:16:27 UTC+1, Niklas Holsti wrote:

> Sorry, but I found your problem description impossible to understand.
> Try to describe more clearly the experiment that is done, the structure
> of the data the experiment provides (the meaning of the Excel rows and
> columns), and the statistic you want to compute.

Sorry tried to keep it short, was too short.

Columns are the antimicrobial drugs
Rows are the microorganism.

So every cell contains a result of S, I, R or simply an empty cell

S = Sensible
I = Intermediate
R = Resistant

empty cell <S<I<R

If a patient has 3 strains of the same microorganism but with different resistance profiles
I have to find the most resistant one. Or if they are different I keep them all.

I have no idea how to explain what I am doing to the compiler.
Why I would choose result from strain B over the result from strain A.

strain A: SSSRSS
strain B: SSRRRS

Simply counting the number of S, I and R doesn't work. ​Checksum with/without weight for the column number doesn't
work either.

Even if I get a correct result I have still the same problem as before why result B over result A.

Thought about building a tree for every family of drugs but the problem will again be the same.
How to decide which result to choose.

Would be easier to attach the Excel file directly.

> Also, if you do not intend to implement the solution in Ada, this is not
> the right group to discuss it.

I would very much prefer to solve it in Ada but at work I am stuck with Excel and VBA which is better than
doing it manually. After a few hours starring at a screen with thousand of rows of results...
If I get an Ada solution I can adapt it. Just limited to no access/pointers in VBA which shouldn't be required?

I know this is the wrong group to discuss, unfortunately I don't know of any place where I would get usable advice.
Here at least I know that there are no trolls or whatever. Perhaps some miscommunication because I thought my
explanation was clear but it wasn't because of missing context.

I am lurking in this group for some time. Just gave up on using Ada

Thanks

Laurent