* Ruby and Ada
@ 2022-05-14  8:46 mockturtle
From: mockturtle @ 2022-05-14  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

As you can guess, my language of choice is Ada, but for small things (often "fast and dirty") or to extract stuff from text files, I use Ruby which I prefer over its direct competitor (much more popular) Python.

Then I read this [1]

> Its [of Ruby] creator, Yukihiro “Matz” Matsumoto, combined parts of his
> favorite languages (Perl, Smalltalk, Eiffel, Ada, and Lisp)

This could explain the affinity... (Matz is an Adaist! :-))

[1] https://dev.to/rodmatola/ruby-the-best-language-for-general-automation-gh3

* Re: Ruby and Ada
@ 2022-05-14 12:53 ` Gautier write-only address
From: Gautier write-only address @ 2022-05-14 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

mockturtle:
> As you can guess, my language of choice is Ada, but for small things (often "fast and dirty") or to extract stuff from text files, I use Ruby which I prefer over its direct competitor (much more popular) Python.

BTW: for the small things you describe, you could be tempted by HAC (see the post about HAC a few hours later) :-)...

* Re: Ruby and Ada
@ 2022-05-14 13:40 ` Robin Vowels
From: Robin Vowels @ 2022-05-14 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Saturday, May 14, 2022 at 6:46:08 PM UTC+10, mockturtle wrote:
> As you can guess, my language of choice is Ada, but for small things (often "fast and dirty") or to extract stuff from text files, I use Ruby which I prefer over its direct competitor (much more popular) Python.
.
whether it's small and dirty or something big, PL/I is a great all-rounder.

* Re: Ruby and Ada
@ 2022-05-19  7:40   ` srOmatic
From: srOmatic @ 2022-05-19  7:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

I second that.

We wrote in HAC more than 10K lines of code for about 50 scripts (the biggest ones being 3000 lines, the smallest ones less than 20 lines).
I know Ruby (also very nice for small jobs) but HAC is much better (1) and certainly faster too (2)... We also coded a lot in Bash (there are sysadmin here too :)

(1) One of the great things about HAC is that all HAC code can be compiled by GNAT.
(2) HAC is 7 times faster than Bash

And, recently, HAC handles packages... This allows us to have modularity in the Ada way... HAC is a golden nugget ;)