From: d941686@sp2 (Leong San Io Francisco)
Subject: Re: How to perform bit-wise xor, and...?
Date: 1996/11/23
Date: 1996-11-23T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Larry Kilgallen (kilgallen@eisner.decus.org) wrote:
: In article <5747oa$svi@umacss1.umac.mo>, d941686@sp2 (Leong San Io Francisco) writes:

: > 	Can someone teach me how to perform bit-wise "xor", and, "or" of two
: > integers in Ada so that it can generate code as close as to the underlying
: > computer's instructions like the C's ^, &, | operators? I am trying to write
: > some computer instructions emulation stuff as well as bitmap graphics
: > manipulation which requires "xor", "or" bytes. Is multiplication by 2 really
: > equal to shift left and division by integer 2 to shift right?

: Someone else may care to go into conversion tricks, but let me just
: comment that when you declare something as an integer it specifies
: the manner in which you intend to use it.  If you find you have a
: need to apply logical operations to a numeric, then either:

:    1) You were wrong to declare it as an integer
: or
:    2) Some external definition has horribly overloaded the
:       meaning of a given location*

: This is true for all programming languages, but with Ada the mismatch
: is detected and you are alerted to the inconsistency.  Other languages
: will allow your program to run, and so long as you do not care about
: the results of that run, things are much easier than with Ada :-)
	So, can you give any hints or solution for bitmap manipulation?
Thanks.

Francisco Leong