From: briot.emmanuel@gmail.com
Subject: Re: VSCode extension - Ada Utilities
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2019 04:09:39 -0800 (PST)
Date: 2019-11-17T04:09:39-08:00	[thread overview]

> Thanks. It's hard to know whether something is of general interest when it
> seems to be described in code. Not everyone has heard of your (generic
> "your" here) favorite coding tool...

Visual Studio Code is actually worth knowing about. I haven't used it myself,
but the reason it is interesting is that it has come with a new protocol named
the Language Server Protocol that is used by a lot of editors/IDEs nowadays to
do things like cross-reference queries ("go to declaration of", "find all references") to refactoring ("rename an entity"), and more.

To the point that most languages nowadays come with such a server (Ada has one based on libadalang, too). Those servers can be queried from vim (which I use),
from Emacs (Stephen has started looking into that for ada-mode, as per a discussion two weeks ago), from GPS (where the Ada language server comes from), Visual Studio Code, and a lot of others.