From: dewar@gnat.com (Robert Dewar)
Subject: Re: Exceptions in GNAT
Date: 2 Jun 2002 08:02:12 -0700
Date: 2002-06-02T15:02:13+00:00	[thread overview]

David Rasmussen <pinkfloydhomer@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<3CF9FB01.2070101@yahoo.com>...
> How do I compile for with most checks for debug builds,
> and how do I compile with everything turned off
> for performance intensive release builds?

As Jack Point says in "Yeomen of the Guard" (from memory
so it is undoubtedly paraphrased and not 100% Gilbert verbatim :-)

"I shall teach you my best jokes quips and conundrums, nay
I shall do more, I shall reveal the source whence I got
them"

The answer to these and all such questions is in the
GNAT users guide. It is a mistake to try using GNAT without
reading any documentation. That being said, the users guide
is a large document and you definitely do NOT need to read
it all before setting finger to keyboard. What you *should*
read is the summary of switches, since there is a lot of
useful material there.

A simple way of getting a list of compiler options with
brief descriptions is to do gnatmake with no arguments.
They you can look down the list of -gnat switches with
one line descriptions. This will answer the two specific
questions you asked, as well as tell you about lots of
other useful switches (e.g. I think that most beginners
should use -gnatv if not -gnatl).