From: dewar@gnat.com (Robert Dewar)
Subject: Re: Ada -> .NET effort in progress
Date: 19 Aug 2002 17:09:49 -0700
Date: 2002-08-20T00:09:50+00:00	[thread overview]

"Marc A. Criley" <mcq95@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:<3D60D8F6.C2F1F35@earthlink.net>...
> Since I'm hesitant to just go and post another's email, despite it being
> sent out on a public list, I'll just provide a pointer to the archived
> message instead:

One think that Martin says in that mail is

<<3) I think the failure of JGNAT was not technical, but demand-based.
 If ACT
 had a customer base that wanted the technology, you can bet they'd
proceed.
 Follow the $$.  Lately I've spent a fair amount of time in the JGNAT
 sources, and they are quite technically sound.>>

I don't regard JGNAT in any sense as a failure. This was
a DoD funded project that most definitely achieved its
purpose, which was to demonstrate that it was feasible
to adapt GNAT to generate JBC, and to provide a GPL'ed
version of this technology to the community.

Both these objectives were certainly achieved.

Now if you are disappointed that ACT no longer continues further
(unfunded) development of this project, well that
indeed reflects a complete lack of commercial interest.
Certainly ACT devotes its own internal resources to projects in which
the commercial market is interested,
and that will continue to be the case.