* Ada Monthly Meeting proposal
@ 2022-04-26 19:59 Fernando Oleo Blanco
From: Fernando Oleo Blanco @ 2022-04-26 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Ada Monthly meeting

  A lot of programming languages and libraries have meetings/meetups
  which allow the community to come together and have a chat, share
  ideas, proposals and better utilise and prioritise resources. I
  would like to propose such a thing for Ada. Below is the rationale
  and some ideas and issues.

** Motivation

   The Ada community does not have many members when compared to other
   more-well-known communities. However, there is still some interest
   in having such type of meetings. This was recently made clear after
   some people pointed out they would like to have such a thing in the
   Ada channel over at Gitter.

   Personally, I have been playing with such idea and that is what
   motivated me to volunteer to drive the FOSDEM Ada devroom. I would
   like the Ada community to be more well-known and to have the same
   "resources" as other communities have. Meetups are a great way to
   have fun while discussing what we like.

   In meetups, generally speaking, users and developers can have the
   opportunity to come together, discuss topics, organise resources
   and help each other. Gray-beards can help those who still have
   colour in their hair; people with different sets of skills can
   propose solutions to problems that one may not have thought about;
   authors can present their work or improvements, etc.

   I would like to use the Fortran community as an example of what
   meetups can be used for. Here is their April monthly-meetup
   [1]. Their meetups are very focused on the language and "core"
   tooling... it is quite formal, which may not be what I had in mind,
   but we will see.

** Who is this meant for?

   Everybody who is interested.

   I would love to see some participation of the "Industrial users".
   But I understand that a lot of people see Ada (and many other
   things) as a tool that brings food to the table, nothig more. So I
   would not expect much participation of this group.

   Newbees and beginners are also more than welcome. They could see
   what people are doing and ask questions that are better answered in
   real-time by a person, instead of a Stackoverflow for example.

   Though, I must be honest, it is mostly intended for people who are
   interested in the Ada environment and open side of things. This is
   due to the nature of an open discussion and building a community. I
   have to be clear and state that I am biased towards the libre
   community, so feel free to point out any unfairness.

** How would it work? What would it be like?

   THIS IS JUST A PROPOSAL, SO TAKE THIS AS SUCH.

   I thought about having a Jitsi room (libre conference system that
   runs on your browser, same one used in FOSDEM) [2] where people can
   just join and take part of the meetup. Jitsi allows for moderation
   too, so that speakers can talk without getting interrupted and it
   has a built in chat too.

   So, what could be discussed? Here is a short list of ideas that I
   have:
   - Monthly news: new releases, milestones, etc.
   - Presentations: attendees may want to present their work or do a
     demonstration. They may also want to have a discussion about a
     specific topic (for example, the use of Ada 2022 features).
   - General libre software coordination: improvements to tools,
     feedback, questions, past goals discussion, etc
   - General Q&A related to Ada and open to everybody.
   - Finally, a beer.

   I think this could take place between 30 min to 2 hours, depending
   on the load of that day. Presentations would obviously be much more
   casual and easy when compared to an actual conference.

** Potential issues

   1. Not enough interest.
   2. Timezones! Users are mostly concentrated in Asia-Pacific/EU/USA,
      which makes coordination an absolute pain. A compromise could be
      found, or a different schedule each month in such a way that
      everybody benefits (and gets skrewed) equally.
   3. Organisation: there needs to be a main organiser and a second in
      command.
      1. There also needs to be a medium in which to spread the
         word. C.L.A is a good starting point, but may not reach the
         wider community. It could be announced everywhere every
         month, but that is a tedious task.

** Feedback

   I have probably said enough, even if not everything has been
   said. So I would like to ask for your feedback and specially know
   if you would be interested.

   Thank you for your time,
   Fer

** References

   [1] https://invidious-us.kavin.rocks/watch?v=8-_ll4f0gN8
   [2] https://meet.jit.si/

* Re: Ada Monthly Meeting proposal
@ 2022-04-27  9:18 ` AdaMagica
From: AdaMagica @ 2022-04-27  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Being in Germany, I get the warning from Norton (see below) when I try to open this site:
> [1] https://invidious-us.kavin.rocks/watch?v=8-_ll4f0gN8
Gefährliche Webseite blockiert
Zugriffsversuch auf:
https://invidious-us.kavin.rocks/watch?v=8-_ll4f0gN8
Dies ist eine bekannte gefährliche Webseite. Es wird ausdrücklich empfohlen, diese Seite NICHT aufzurufen.

Dangerous website blocked
This is a well-known dangerous website. Expressly recommended not to open this site.

* Re: Ada Monthly Meeting proposal
@ 2022-04-27 10:34   ` Maxim Reznik
From: Maxim Reznik @ 2022-04-27 10:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

I would give it a try!

* Re: Ada Monthly Meeting proposal
@ 2022-04-27 12:57 ` Anton F.
From: Anton F. @ 2022-04-27 12:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

I would participate, this is a great idea!

* Re: Ada Monthly Meeting proposal
@ 2022-04-27 18:17   ` Fernando Oleo Blanco
From: Fernando Oleo Blanco @ 2022-04-27 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am Wed, 27 Apr 2022 02:18:57 -0700 (PDT)
schrieb AdaMagica <christ-usch.grein@t-online.de>:

> Being in Germany, I get the warning from Norton (see below) when I
> try to open this site:
> > [1] https://invidious-us.kavin.rocks/watch?v=8-_ll4f0gN8
> Gefährliche Webseite blockiert
> Zugriffsversuch auf:
> https://invidious-us.kavin.rocks/watch?v=8-_ll4f0gN8
> Dies ist eine bekannte gefährliche Webseite. Es wird ausdrücklich
> empfohlen, diese Seite NICHT aufzurufen.
>
> Dangerous website blocked
> This is a well-known dangerous website. Expressly recommended not to
> open this site.

Hi Christ,

sorry to hear that. The webpage is a libre alternative frontend to
Youtube. Here is the link to the video in Youtube itself
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-_ll4f0gN8
As you can see the URI (I believe that is the technical term) is the
same, the only change is on the URL.

Danke für Ihre Antwort,
Fer

* Re: Ada Monthly Meeting proposal
@ 2022-04-28 20:41     ` yossep Binyoum
From: yossep Binyoum @ 2022-04-28 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le mercredi 27 avril 2022 à 18:17:36 UTC, Fernando Oleo Blanco a écrit :
> Am Wed, 27 Apr 2022 02:18:57 -0700 (PDT)
> schrieb AdaMagica <christ-u...@t-online.de>:
> > Being in Germany, I get the warning from Norton (see below) when I
> > try to open this site:
> > > [1] https://invidious-us.kavin.rocks/watch?v=8-_ll4f0gN8
> > Gefährliche Webseite blockiert
> > Zugriffsversuch auf:
> > https://invidious-us.kavin.rocks/watch?v=8-_ll4f0gN8
> > Dies ist eine bekannte gefährliche Webseite. Es wird ausdrücklich
> > empfohlen, diese Seite NICHT aufzurufen.
> >
> > Dangerous website blocked
> > This is a well-known dangerous website. Expressly recommended not to
> > open this site.
> Hi Christ,
>
> sorry to hear that. The webpage is a libre alternative frontend to
> Youtube. Here is the link to the video in Youtube itself
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-_ll4f0gN8
> As you can see the URI (I believe that is the technical term) is the
> same, the only change is on the URL.
>
> Danke für Ihre Antwort,
> Fer
From Senegal, i totaly agree with you. I give it a try

* Re: Ada Monthly Meeting proposal
@ 2022-04-29 14:38 ` Stéphane Rivière
From: Stéphane Rivière @ 2022-04-29 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Great idea !

* Re: Ada Monthly Meeting proposal
@ 2022-04-29 18:29 ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2022-04-29 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Fernando Oleo Blanco <irvise_ml@irvise.xyz> writes:

> * Ada Monthly meeting

Sounds interesting. I maintain Emacs Ada mode; this might be a good
forum to get less formal feedback than the ada-mode mailing list
provides, and to hear what other IDEs are doing for Ada.

>       1. There also needs to be a medium in which to spread the
>          word. C.L.A is a good starting point, but may not reach the
>          wider community. It could be announced everywhere every
>          month, but that is a tedious task.

This sounds like a job for a bot; post the same announcement to a list
of channels.

Anyone have a bot written in Ada?

--
-- Stephe

* Re: Ada Monthly Meeting proposal
@ 2022-04-30  4:04   ` Maxim Reznik
From: Maxim Reznik @ 2022-04-30  4:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

пятница, 29 апреля 2022 г. в 21:29:55 UTC+3, Stephen Leake:

> This sounds like a job for a bot; post the same announcement to a list
> of channels.
>
> Anyone have a bot written in Ada?

I have a bot in Ada for Telegram. It is a bridge between Telegram, Jabber, IRC channel. It also checks telegram newcomers if they are not bot.

I can write another one for announcements, but I'm not sure if announcing once a month worth the time :)

* Re: Ada Monthly Meeting proposal
@ 2022-04-30 13:57 ` Ada Forge
From: Ada Forge @ 2022-04-30 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le mardi 26 avril 2022 à 21:59:41 UTC+2, Fernando Oleo Blanco a écrit :
> * Ada Monthly meeting

Nice initiative !

Take me into account ;-)

Some subjects I’d love to debate with connoisseurs :
 * UTF8-Unicode-UCS :  a lot of libraries are offering strings manipulation. State of the art ? (Gnat extensions, GnatColl, Matreska, Gnoga, ...)
 * OS system usage (as (system shell) scripts, in place of Perl, Python, …) : GNAT extensions ; Florist ; GnatColl ; SoWebIO; ...
 * Windowing (2D) systems : future of GTK/Glade ; Qt6/Qt Design Studio ; GWindows ; Apple new SwiftUI MV paradigm ; wxWidgets ; Tk/TCL
 * How let anyone collaborate to AdaForge’s new up-todate 2022 Ada resources gathered allover the internet ;-) Through GitHub ?

cheers, with a fresh Belgian Ada 10°
William

* Re: Ada Monthly Meeting proposal
@ 2022-04-30 16:33   ` Rod Kay
From: Rod Kay @ 2022-04-30 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 30/4/22 23:57, Ada Forge wrote:
> Le mardi 26 avril 2022 à 21:59:41 UTC+2, Fernando Oleo Blanco a écrit :
>> * Ada Monthly meeting
>
> Nice initiative !
>
> Take me into account ;-)

    Agree. Count me in Fer :).

> Some subjects I’d love to debate with connoisseurs :
>   * UTF8-Unicode-UCS :  a lot of libraries are offering strings manipulation. State of the art ? (Gnat extensions, GnatColl, Matreska, Gnoga, ...)
>   * OS system usage (as (system shell) scripts, in place of Perl, Python, …) : GNAT extensions ; Florist ; GnatColl ; SoWebIO; ...
>   * Windowing (2D) systems : future of GTK/Glade ; Qt6/Qt Design Studio ; GWindows ; Apple new SwiftUI MV paradigm ; wxWidgets ; Tk/TCL
>   * How let anyone collaborate to AdaForge’s new up-todate 2022 Ada resources gathered allover the internet ;-) Through GitHub ?
>
> cheers, with a fresh Belgian Ada 10°
> William

    If by 'OS system usage' you mean using Ada to write shell-like
scripts then you may be interested in aShell. It builds on Florist to
allow Ada applets to more easily call and interact with OS commands.

    The last release allowed OS commands to be called but only from a
single Ada task. Atm, work is being done on supporting task safe
commands (via a spawn manager).

    The next release will contain the task safe commands and be Alire
enabled, and should occur in the next month or so (Lady Ada willing).

Regards.

* Re: Ada Monthly Meeting proposal
@ 2022-04-30 16:38     ` Ada Forge
       [not found]       ` <20220503210621.2090e778@linux.fritz.box>
From: Ada Forge @ 2022-04-30 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le samedi 30 avril 2022 à 18:33:49 UTC+2, roda...@gmail.com a écrit :
> The last release allowed OS commands to be called but only from a
> single Ada task. Atm, work is being done on supporting task safe
> commands (via a spawn manager).
>
> The next release will contain the task safe commands and be Alire
> enabled, and should occur in the next month or so (Lady Ada willing).

Great !
Thanks for the tip :-)
William

* Re: Ada Monthly Meeting proposal
@ 2022-04-30 17:01   ` Luke A. Guest
From: Luke A. Guest @ 2022-04-30 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 30/04/2022 14:57, Ada Forge wrote:

> Some subjects I’d love to debate with connoisseurs :
>   * UTF8-Unicode-UCS :  a lot of libraries are offering strings manipulation. State of the art ? (Gnat extensions, GnatColl, Matreska, Gnoga, ...)

>   * Windowing (2D) systems : future of GTK/Glade ; Qt6/Qt Design Studio ; GWindows ; Apple new SwiftUI MV paradigm ; wxWidgets ; Tk/TCL

Oh, I suppose I'll have to attend given I have experience with those.

@ 2022-09-01  8:35         ` Fernando Oleo Blanco
From: Fernando Oleo Blanco @ 2022-09-01  8:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

sorry for my silence, university has taken a toll on me. Anyhow, I am
now mostly finished with it. I sadly will not be able to prepare a
meetup as I am now will take a breather.

Maybe for October I will have some time. Otherwise, it will have to be
moved later.

Sorry for the delays and silence on my part.

Best regards,
Fer

* Re: Ada Monthly Meeting proposal
@ 2023-05-10 15:39 ` Fernando Oleo Blanco
From: Fernando Oleo Blanco @ 2023-05-10 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Reboot of the Ada Monthly Meeting

   Dear all. Once again, after a long pause, I want to revive the idea
   of a monthly meeting to discuss the latest Ada events, projects,
   releases or just have a chat about a topic.

   I will not repeat what I said in the original message as all points
   still stand.

   I was happy with the reception that the proposal gathered, alas it
   did not take place. However, I was thinking about having one at the
   beginning of each month. There would be a pause during summer
   (August for most people and potentially September) and FOSDEM.

* When do "we" start?

   As I would not like to postpone it much more, I would like to
   kickstart it this June. So the first one would be either Saturday 3
   or Sunday 4 of July.

   I know this sounds a bit rushed. However, if I do not set a date for
   me and other people, we will just keep pushing it further and
   further. This firt meetup would just be to test the waters and
   receive feedback. There would be another one in July and then
   summer, after which I hope to get a serious and continuous stream of
   meetups.

   I was thinking that we could have a meetup at around 12PM UTC
   time. It is early but not crazy early for those in USA and late for
   those in far east Asia such as Australia. Here in Europe it falls
   close to the meal time, which is not ideal... If a lot of people do
   not like this time, it can be easily moved a bit earlier or
   later... I WOULD LIKE TO RECEIVE SOME FEEDBACK ON THIS.

* What to expect?

   I would like to keep this meetups sweet and short. I was thinking
   maybe 45 minutes long, maybe an hour. That would allow for a quick
   round of news, topics and introductions (something like what Maxim
   Reznik does but a lot shorter). Then 2 to 4 topics (depending on the
   time needed by each one). The topics would be what other and I
   already proposed. This would give between 20 to 10 minutes for each
   topic.

   Once again, this is the starting proposal. Adjustments will be
   needed.

* What do I need?

   Feedback:
- What is you opinion?
- Do you have a topic/project that you would like to show to the
   community?
- Do you like the chosen time?
- Do you like the week of the month?
- Is Jitsi [1] a good enough platform to do the meetings?
- Do you think that 45 min / 1 h is a good enough duration?
- Would you like to participate on Saturday 3 or Sunday 4?

[1] https://meet.jit.si/

Once again, best regards,
Fer

* Re: Ada Monthly Meeting proposal
@ 2023-05-10 19:26   ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2023-05-10 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Fernando Oleo Blanco <irvise_ml@irvise.xyz> writes:

> - What is you opinion?

Good idea.

> - Do you have a topic/project that you would like to show to the
>   community?

Will have to think about that! Mac issues? Alire vs Mac?

> - Do you like the chosen time?

Fine by me.

> - Do you like the week of the month?

No problem

> - Is Jitsi [1] a good enough platform to do the meetings?

Will have to see!

> - Do you think that 45 min / 1 h is a good enough duration?

Certainly OK for the first meeting

> - Would you like to participate on Saturday 3 or Sunday 4?

Either could be managed! Slight preference for Saturday

--S

* Re: Ada Monthly Meeting proposal
@ 2023-05-10 19:41   ` Jeffrey R.Carter
From: Jeffrey R.Carter @ 2023-05-10 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2023-05-10 17:39, Fernando Oleo Blanco wrote:

> - Do you like the chosen time?

Any time will be inconvenient for some, but one must be chosen. 12:00 UTC is
fine with me, but during January, the time on the west coast of the US is UTC
-08, and on the east coast of Austrailia, UTC +11. 12:00 UTC corresponds to
04:00 in California and 23:00 in Sydney. 04:00 is rather painful. It might be
better to choose 13:00 UTC (05:00 and 00:00).

"Brave Sir Robin ran away."
Monty Python and the Holy Grail

* Re: Ada Monthly Meeting proposal
@ 2023-05-10 19:47   ` Ben Bacarisse
From: Ben Bacarisse @ 2023-05-10 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Fernando Oleo Blanco <irvise_ml@irvise.xyz> writes:

> * When do "we" start?
>
>   As I would not like to postpone it much more, I would like to
>   kickstart it this June. So the first one would be either Saturday 3
>   or Sunday 4 of July.

Presumably 3rd or 4th June.

--
Ben.

* Re: Ada Monthly Meeting proposal
@ 2023-05-11 18:12     ` Fernando Oleo Blanco
From: Fernando Oleo Blanco @ 2023-05-11 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 10.05.23 21:47, Ben Bacarisse wrote:
> Presumably 3rd or 4th June.

Ouch, true! June, not July... Thanks for catching the mistake!

* Re: Ada Monthly Meeting proposal
@ 2023-05-16  1:19   ` A.J.
From: A.J. @ 2023-05-16  1:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Feedback:
> - What is you opinion?

I'm absolutely up for this.

> - Do you have a topic/project that you would like to show to the
> community?
I recently released an Ada ISO Library for country and currency codes[1], I could talk about that if anyone is interested.  I also use Ada with Alire on a mac, so I'm interested in listening to that discussion.

> - Do you like the chosen time?
It looks like 12pm UTC is 8am EDT.  I normally get up around 6AM, so I can make this work.

> - Do you like the week of the month?
That should be fine.

> - Is Jitsi [1] a good enough platform to do the meetings?
If it works in a browser, I have no issues with it.

> - Do you think that 45 min / 1 h is a good enough duration?
This is good for the first such meeting.  We can see how it goes and adjust in later meetings.

> - Would you like to participate on Saturday 3 or Sunday 4?
I prefer Saturday over Sunday, but either one works for me.

AJ.

[1] https://github.com/ada-iso/ada_iso/tree/v2.0.0

* Re: Ada Monthly Meeting proposal
@ 2023-05-25 17:35     ` Fernando Oleo Blanco
From: Fernando Oleo Blanco @ 2023-05-25 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all and specially A.J.

I will try to make the meeting happen. I made the announcement here [1].

If you would like to participate, save the date! If you have any ideas
or proposals, they are welcome (this goes specially to you A.J., I
assume you would like to present :).

There is a bit more info in the link if anybody else is interested. I
will select the exact time next week.

[1] https://forum.ada-lang.io/t/ada-monthly-meeting/384/2?u=irvise

Best regards,
Fer

* Re: Ada Monthly Meeting proposal
@ 2023-05-25 20:22       ` Keith Thompson
From: Keith Thompson @ 2023-05-25 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Fernando Oleo Blanco <irvise_ml@irvise.xyz> writes:
> Hi all and specially A.J.
>
> I will try to make the meeting happen. I made the announcement here [1].
>
> If you would like to participate, save the date! If you have any ideas
> or proposals, they are welcome (this goes specially to you A.J., I
> assume you would like to present :).
>
> There is a bit more info in the link if anybody else is interested. I
> will select the exact time next week.
>
> [1] https://forum.ada-lang.io/t/ada-monthly-meeting/384/2?u=irvise

The proposed time is 12:00 or 13:00 UTC on Sat 2023-06-03.

That's 05:00 or 06:00 in the US Pacific time zone (California et al).

I understand that scheduling meetings for an international audience
is hard.  I might join if it's later in the day in my time zone
-- but I wouldn't have much to contribute anyway, so please don't
base your decision on that.  But I suspect a lot of people in the
US won't join if it's that early.

Will write code for food.