* GNAT FSF
@ 2022-12-08 16:39 AdaMagica
From: AdaMagica @ 2022-12-08 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

In the past, I only used GNAT CE. Now that no new versions are provided, I'm gonna try to download the FSF version.

The newest I found is in https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gcc/gcc-12.2.0/
gcc-12.2.0.tar.gz.

Is this the correct thing? I have yet to find a tool to open tar.gz (on windows, I generally use zip files).

Now suppose I have successfully unpacked the thing. What is inside? How do I install it? Is GPS included?

Thanxs for your patience and help.

* Re: GNAT FSF
@ 2022-12-08 17:41 ` Gabriele Galeotti
From: Gabriele Galeotti @ 2022-12-08 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thursday, December 8, 2022 at 5:39:53 PM UTC+1, AdaMagica wrote:
> In the past, I only used GNAT CE. Now that no new versions are provided, I'm gonna try to download the FSF version.
>
> The newest I found is in https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gcc/gcc-12.2.0/
> gcc-12.2.0.tar.gz.
>
> Is this the correct thing? I have yet to find a tool to open tar.gz (on windows, I generally use zip files).
>
> Now suppose I have successfully unpacked the thing. What is inside? How do I install it? Is GPS included?
>
> Thanxs for your patience and help.

You downloaded the source code of the entire GCC suite. GPS is not a GCC FSF thing, it's an IDE.

Given your question, I think you will have hard time, you have to compile everything, and you need
a bootstrap compiler in your system in order to do that. And you have to build Binutils first, plus an obscene
amount of libraries.

That being said, I strongly suggest to not build GCC on windows, it will take ages.

* Re: GNAT FSF
@ 2022-12-08 18:12 ` DrPi
From: DrPi @ 2022-12-08 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

You can use 7zip : https://7-zip.org/

@ 2022-12-08 20:16 ` Björn Lundin
From: Björn Lundin @ 2022-12-08 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2022-12-08 17:39, AdaMagica wrote:
> In the past, I only used GNAT CE. Now that no new versions are provided, I'm gonna try to download the FSF version.

You likely downloaded the source code, as other pointed out.
Winzip usually handles tar.gz.

This makes me think gnat is included
https://github.com/jmeubank/tdm-gcc-src/releases

and download is at

https://jmeubank.github.io/tdm-gcc/articles/2021-05/10.3.0-release

However - I did not try it myself.

--
/Björn

* Re: GNAT FSF
@ 2022-12-08 20:45 ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2022-12-08 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

AdaMagica <christ-usch.grein@t-online.de> writes:

> In the past, I only used GNAT CE. Now that no new versions are
> provided, I'm gonna try to download the FSF version.
>
> The newest I found is in https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gcc/gcc-12.2.0/
> gcc-12.2.0.tar.gz.

What you need is alire:

start here:      https://ada-lang.io
more technical:  https://alire.ada.dev/docs/#introduction

Pretty sure there's a GNAT Studio for Windows around.

* Re: GNAT FSF
@ 2022-12-08 22:46   ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2022-12-08 22:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

> AdaMagica <christ-usch.grein@t-online.de> writes:
>
>> In the past, I only used GNAT CE. Now that no new versions are
>> provided, I'm gonna try to download the FSF version.
>>
>> The newest I found is in https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gcc/gcc-12.2.0/
>> gcc-12.2.0.tar.gz.
>
> What you need is alire:
>
> start here:      https://ada-lang.io
> more technical:  https://alire.ada.dev/docs/#introduction
>
> Pretty sure there's a GNAT Studio for Windows around.

As announced on gitter (but _not_ in the github GnatStudio README, nor
can you get here via the normal github interface, sigh):

https://github.com/AdaCore/gnatstudio/releases

--
-- Stephe

* Re: GNAT FSF
@ 2022-12-08 23:04   ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2022-12-08 23:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

> AdaMagica <christ-usch.grein@t-online.de> writes:
>
>> In the past, I only used GNAT CE. Now that no new versions are
>> provided, I'm gonna try to download the FSF version.
>>
>> The newest I found is in https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gcc/gcc-12.2.0/
>> gcc-12.2.0.tar.gz.
>
> What you need is alire:
>
> start here:      https://ada-lang.io
> more technical:  https://alire.ada.dev/docs/#introduction

The canonical homepage for alire is https://alire.ada.dev/

The AdaCore CE installer installed core gnatcoll and gnat studio along
with the compiler. gnatcoll is in alire, in several pieces; you'll have
to install each one that you need (Unless you let Alire manage that for
you).

gnat studio is not (yet?) in Alire; installers are here:

https://github.com/AdaCore/gnatstudio/releases

You can either use alire to compile all your projects (recommended in
the long run, but it's not a simple transition), or you can export the
compiler to use it in a "normal" way:

alr toolchain --install gnat_native=12.2.1 --install-dir ~/.local

To export a gnatcoll piece:

cd alire_stuff
alr get gnatcoll_iconv
cd gnatcoll_iconv*

Then read alire.toml to find the main project file (ie *.gpr)

alr exec -- gprinstall -P project.gpr --prefix ~/.local

That does not result in a standard gnat install; the compiler is in
different directories. So you'll need to move some stuff. I hope it's
obvious what needs to be moved. (I don't do this, so I don't have a
complete set of instructions).

Tedious, which is why just using alire is recommended.

On the other hand, it's easy to lose track of just how many components
you are downloading once you get used to Alire (as with auto-downloading
package managers for python, rust, ...).

On my machine, gnat 12 from alire doesn't link on Windows (see
https://github.com/alire-project/GNAT-FSF-builds/issues/43); apparently
it does for some people. So please report back here if this works for
you. I'm currently using Debian in a virtual machine.

--
-- Stephe

* Re: GNAT FSF
@ 2022-12-09  8:32     ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2022-12-09  8:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stephen Leake <stephen_leake@stephe-leake.org> writes:

> As announced on gitter (but _not_ in the github GnatStudio README, nor
> can you get here via the normal github interface, sigh):
>
> https://github.com/AdaCore/gnatstudio/releases

Go to https://github.com/AdaCore/gnatstudio - in the right-hand column,
click on Releases, then Assets