From: Jacob Sparre Andersen <jacob@jacob-sparre.dk>
Subject: Re: Some questions about GPS
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2018 21:01:31 +0200
Date: 2018-07-23T21:01:31+02:00	[thread overview]

Ian Douglas <ian@vionia.com> writes:

> Using GPS on Linux but some things driving me nuts, so need to
> determine if "that's the way it is" or is my configuration is flaky.

Which version of GPS?  The one currently packaged for Debian is indeed a
bit flaky, while the one packaged with GNAT Community Edition, which you
can download from AdaCore works quite well.

> 1. Line numbers: selected option for "all" but only first few are
> shown, then they stop.

Wierd.

> 2. When selecting text to copy/cut, it reverts to black on white when
> selected. I'm used to Kate where selected text gets a different
> background so you can clearly see what you've selected. Is this me or
> the way the editor works (and IMHO this is sub-optimal for usability).

I'm pretty sure that is a user setting (but I can't remember where/how
you set it).

> 3. Am trying to read in a file, play with it, and write it out. So
> started with "Expanded with proper error handling and reporting it
> reads:" example (2nd one) on
> https://www.rosettacode.org/wiki/File_input/output#Line_by_line , but
> the compiler insists that the two "close input" statements are
> "unreachable code".

The two calls to "Close" just after "end loop" are indeed unreachable,
and shouldn't be there.

Greetings,

Jacob
--
"Very small. Go to sleep" -- monster (not drooling)