From: Ludovic Brenta <ludovic@ludovic-brenta.org>
Subject: Re: A few questions on Ada and Ada implementations
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2010 14:48:46 +0100
Date: 2010-12-19T14:48:46+01:00	[thread overview]

Kulin Remailer writes:
> I have been looking over Ada (the 95 variant) and it looks like a
> great language. Are there any free (as in no license restrictions, not
> GPL- anything) GUI libraries? What choices are there for handling
> output besides text? gcc-Ada looks good but I prefer to avoid gcc as
> much as I can and I also haven't found anything but GtkAda that seems
> to be GPLed.

There is a list of compilers with their licensing terms and some
libraries in the "Ada Programming" wikibook[1].  For the compiler, your
choices seem to be restricted to GCC (which you try to avoid) and
Janus/Ada; the others are too expensive for a hobbyist unless you can
persuade the vendors to give you a huge discount.  As for the GUI
library, the choices follow from your choice of compilers.  Most GUI
libraries that are available for GNU/Linux are either pure GPL or use a
commercial dual-licensing scheme.  Other people have already listed a
few of these.

[1] http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Ada_Programming/Installing

Since I am also a hobbyist, I personally do not really understand your
stance about "unencumbered" libraries; I'm perfectly happy with the
GPL.  This gives me a much wider range of choices.

--
Ludovic Brenta.