From: Lucretia <laguest9000@googlemail.com>
Subject: Re: sdlada, löve, and programming for beginners
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2020 11:26:54 -0800 (PST)
Date: 2020-02-09T11:26:54-08:00	[thread overview]

See https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/ for up to date OS with up to date GNAT.

> On the topic of teenage programmers: Although I am not a teenager I am
> new to Ada. What is repelling is when you read Barne's book and you
> throw up your arms and think: How am I ever going to master all that?!

It's not the best book for learning, but it's fine for people who know previous Ada's.

> But I guess what is true for C++ must be true for Ada as well: People
> use 20% of the language features 80% of the time. it would be good to
> find a way to introduce new programmers using these 20% to start with.
> Barne's book is simply overwhelming for the newcommer since it covers
> nearly all aspects and you can start out with much less

I wouldn't necessarily say that's true for Ada, there are certainly people using quite a lot of Ada features in their projects. Maybe not all, like DSA, but a lot, like OO, aspects, tasking, interfaces, containers, etc.