* wanted: expertise with Gtkada.Canvas_View in gtkada 17.0
@ 2019-11-29  9:08 mario.blunk.gplus
From: mario.blunk.gplus @ 2019-11-29  9:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,
does anyone here have expertise with the package Gtkada.Canvas_View ?
cheers,
Mario

* Re: wanted: expertise with Gtkada.Canvas_View in gtkada 17.0
@ 2019-11-29 12:48 ` briot.emmanuel
From: briot.emmanuel @ 2019-11-29 12:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

> does anyone here have expertise with the package Gtkada.Canvas_View ?

I wrote it at the time, but I haven't used GtkAda for three years now so
I am a little rusty on the subject. You could still try sending your actual
question, maybe other people can help.

* Re: wanted: expertise with Gtkada.Canvas_View in gtkada 17.0
@ 2019-11-29 14:36   ` mario.blunk.gplus
From: mario.blunk.gplus @ 2019-11-29 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Friday, November 29, 2019 at 1:48:07 PM UTC+1, briot....@gmail.com wrote:
> > does anyone here have expertise with the package Gtkada.Canvas_View ?
>
> I wrote it at the time, but I haven't used GtkAda for three years now so
> I am a little rusty on the subject. You could still try sending your actual
> question, maybe other people can help.

Thanks for your message. I did not expect to get a response from the brain behind gtkada :-) You did the programming and commenting very well. Thanks. I'm preparing some demos for gtkada. The one I'm working on is
https://github.com/Blunk-electronic/ada_training/tree/master/src/gtkada_8

A tutorial like approach on how to use canvas_view should be the outcome. The example gtkada_8 is to draw on a black background with a grid in the next days.

In the long run the EDA project at https://github.com/Blunk-electronic/ET will get a nice GUI made with gtkada. If you don't mind I would approach you from timt to time with questions.

* Re: wanted: expertise with Gtkada.Canvas_View in gtkada 17.0
@ 2019-11-30 16:21 ` Alain De Vos
From: Alain De Vos @ 2019-11-30 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sorry i can not help but interesting demo programs.
Remark in the sideline, what is also important and not obvious is object orientation. Sometimes it is also a good practice to use derived gtk gui objects in a gui application.

* Re: wanted: expertise with Gtkada.Canvas_View in gtkada 17.0
@ 2019-12-03 14:44   ` mario.blunk.gplus
From: mario.blunk.gplus @ 2019-12-03 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Friday, November 29, 2019 at 1:48:07 PM UTC+1, briot....@gmail.com wrote:
> > does anyone here have expertise with the package Gtkada.Canvas_View ?
>
> I wrote it at the time, but I haven't used GtkAda for three years now so
> I am a little rusty on the subject. You could still try sending your actual
> question, maybe other people can help.

I'm still playing with my demo at https://github.com/Blunk-electronic/ada_training/tree/master/src/gtkada_8 . The requires library units are in
https://github.com/Blunk-electronic/ada_training/tree/master/src/lib .

In the package spec Gtkada.Canvas_View you say that in order to customize the canvas background, the procedure draw_internal should be overridden (line 53). If I'm correct, this implies extending the type canvas_view_record and overriding draw_internal of the derived type. This is what I did in my demo in file gtkada-canvas_view-canvas_test.ads . The derived type is type_view. Right below is the overriding of draw_internal. The actual overriding takes place in gtkada-canvas_view-canvas_test.adb .
 Here I'm stuck.  So my first question: Do I need the pointer type_view_ptr that accesses the type_view ?

Thanks

* Re: wanted: expertise with Gtkada.Canvas_View in gtkada 17.0
@ 2019-12-18 18:44 ` mario.blunk.gplus
From: mario.blunk.gplus @ 2019-12-18 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

I got a nice demo program working. Still not complete but serving the sole purpose to understand the basics on gtkada in connection with cairo:

https://github.com/Blunk-electronic/ada_training/blob/master/src/gtkada_9/gtkada_9.adb

Your feedback is highly welcome !

* Re: wanted: expertise with Gtkada.Canvas_View in gtkada 17.0
@ 2020-01-20 15:24   ` mario.blunk.gplus
From: mario.blunk.gplus @ 2020-01-20 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Friday, November 29, 2019 at 1:48:07 PM UTC+1, briot....@gmail.com wrote:
> > does anyone here have expertise with the package Gtkada.Canvas_View ?
>
> I wrote it at the time, but I haven't used GtkAda for three years now so
> I am a little rusty on the subject. You could still try sending your actual
> question, maybe other people can help.

One question on key-press-event:
In my demo at
https://github.com/Blunk-electronic/ada_training/blob/master/src/lib/canvas_test.adb in line 1049 there is a procedure on_key_event which is never called for some reason. In the procedure init (right below) I did the proper connection to the key-press-signal.

In order to reproduce the problem please compile the top level unit with gprbuild in
https://github.com/Blunk-electronic/ada_training/tree/master/src/gtkada_9

What am I doing wrong ?

* Re: wanted: expertise with Gtkada.Canvas_View in gtkada 17.0
@ 2020-01-20 18:12     ` mario.blunk.gplus
From: mario.blunk.gplus @ 2020-01-20 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

> What am I doing wrong ?
Got it working by myself. The main window must react on the key-press-event first. Then it must propagate the event further to the focused window.