From: Shark8 <onewingedshark@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: If GCC dropped Ada suport, how long would you use an old version for?
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2021 07:19:12 -0700 (PDT)	[thread overview]

On Monday, May 31, 2021 at 10:10:33 AM UTC-6, spellingbeewinnars.org wrote:

> However, let's just say the GCC project dropped support, aliens abducted all of the Adacore staff and you did not feel you would be able to patch GCC yourself, how long would you use an old GCC version that had Ada support?
GCC is kind of overly-convoluted, and GNAT has to cater to this.
I think that if this happened right now, we (as a community) could use this as impetus to create a MIT-licensed SPARK-proved (inasmuch as possible) free compiler; thus we could be in a far better position, in the end.

Don't get me wrong, GNAT isn't fundamentally bad, nor is AdaCore -- despite disagreements on design or [in AdaCore's case] marketing -- but it's easy for newcomers to mistake Ada as belonging to AdaCore.