From: Dennis Lee Bieber <wlfraed@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Does Raspberry Pi 2 have a working version of native GNAT
Date: Tue, 08 Dec 2015 08:02:33 -0500
Date: 2015-12-08T08:02:33-05:00	[thread overview]

On Tue, 8 Dec 2015 09:40:29 +0100, "Dmitry A. Kazakov"
<mailbox@dmitry-kazakov.de> declaimed the following:

>On Mon, 07 Dec 2015 13:40:13 -0800, Paul Rubin wrote:
>
>> "Dmitry A. Kazakov" <mailbox@dmitry-kazakov.de> writes:
>>> use swap, e.g. compiling with -j0 switch, then RPi 2 freezes, no matter
>>> which linux version. I believe the problem is with the SD card (any
>>> vendor).
>>
>> There's apparently a big difference between card brands:
>>
>> http://www.midwesternmac.com/blogs/jeff-geerling/raspberry-pi-microsd-card
>
>Sure. I suspect that the more performant is the card the worse. E.g. some
>mp3 players vendors recommend Kingston (down in the list) over SanDisk. I
>experimented with Samsung and SanDisk with no significant difference.

	Class 10 cards are rated based upon a large single file streaming, to a
freshly formatted card. Optimized for video recording

	Class 2/4/6 cards are rated based upon multiple small files and
fragmented file system. What one might get from a still image camera from
which the user has erased some images and then continued shooting.

	I'd expect the better card brands to not have too much of a difference
between high speed stream vs fragmented multi-files. Cheaper brand class
10s, OTOH, may be much slower when fragmentation sets in (internal sector
sizes may be such that nearly any write operation requires buffering lots
of data while the sector is erased and rewritten).