From: bevan@cs.man.ac.uk (Stephen J Bevan)
Subject: Re: Naive question about system dependencies
Date: 20 Sep 1994 09:02:41 GMT
Date: 1994-09-20T09:02:41+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <35jupm$dkq@theopolis.orl.mmc.com> dennison@romulus23.DAB.GE.COM (Ted Dennison) writes:
   In article <35f559$mad@info.epfl.ch>, weber@lglsun.epfl.ch (Mats Weber) writes:
   |> In article <Cw8GK2.M9y@inmet.camb.inmet.com>
   |> Using a good file naming convention helps a lot in managing the
   |> different versions. We use something like this:
   |>
   |> sql_interface.ads                 (common package spec)
   |> sql_interface-oracle-vms.adb      (body for Oracle under VMS)
   |> sql_interface-sybase-unix.adb     (body for Sybase under UNIX)
   |>
   |> Despite the amount of code duplication, I prefer this to a preprocessor
   |> approach.

   This won't work under GNAT. GNAT doesn't allow you to use "a good
   file naming convention", you have to use theirs.

I don't believe this is quite correct.  If you want to use the above
naming convention with a compiler you have to define -somewhere- the
relationship between the interface and the particular implementation
you want to use (i.e. Oracle or Sybase).  With GNAT, all you'd have to
have is a script (perhaps generated by a config script for the given
platform) which created a link (or defined a logical on VMS) between
the sql_interface.xxx and the appropriate implementation.