From: comp.vuw.ac.nz!canterbury.ac.nz!otago.ac.nz!piglet.otago.ac.nz!pgorman@uu net.uu.net  (Paul Gorman)
Subject: Re: ADA arithmetic
Date: 30 Jul 93 04:44:11 GMT	[thread overview]

is20115@otago.ac.nz wrote:
> In article <CAvptp.B5F@inmet.camb.inmet.com>, stt@spock.camb.inmet.com (Tucke
r Taft) writes:
> > In article <1993Jul26.134358.1@otago.ac.nz> is20115@otago.ac.nz writes:
> >
> >>I am currently working on a program which requires arithmetic to be perform
ed
> >>on numbers of up to 16 digits long.  Has anyone out ther written a package
> >>which will do this?  Add & Subtract would suffice but * & divide and MOD wo
uld
> >>be a big help.  If anyone has one of these could they please mail to source
> >>code to COSC214.OTAGO.AC.NZ  this would be much appreciated.
> >
> > Every Ada compiler includes within it an "infinite" precision
> > arithmetic package.  The GNAT compiler is no exception, so
> > if you want to do infinite precision arithmetic (both integral
> > and rational), you can snarf the "july9-release" of GNAT and
> > extract the following files:
> >
> >     uintp-.ada   -- Universal Integer package spec
> >     uintp.ada    -- Univ int package body
> >     rat-.ada     -- Rational numbers package spec
> >     rat.ada      -- Rational numbers package body
> >
> > GNAT is available by anonymous ftp from cs.nyu.edu
> > in directory pub/gnat/july9-release.  All of the Ada sources
> > are in the file gnat-src.tar.z (don't forget to use binary/image mode
> > to transfer it, and you will need gunzip and tar to extract
> > individual source files).
> >
> Are you sure that address is right?  seems a little short and it doesn't work
> when I try it.  This tar.z thing is a real pain, I have unzip and VMStar whic
> I hope will work.  Though I still haven't figured out to run them using run
> with parameters.  The VAX is about as userfriendly as a wet paper bag full of
> wet paper bags.  Thanks for you help, it is much appreciated.
> By the way, if anyone is really bored this Friday night and is looking for
> something to do, they could always do my whole assignment, that would be much
> appreciated also.  Gee I hope Paul doesn't read this one too!

There is no point in FTPing the Ada9X files as we are in the process of
installing the compiler here so we already have the 9X source code.
Also since the point of the assignment is that you should learn something
by doing it yourself I don't know if Chris will give you a grade for the
'work' you are doing.
Finally, this sort of communication should be via e-mail and not posted
world-wide.

Paul
| Dr. Paul Gorman                  tel   : +64 -3 479 8366              |
| Lecturer                         fax   : +64 -3 479 8529              |
| Department of Computer Science   e-mail: pgorman@gandalf.otago.ac.nz  |
| University of Otago                                                   |
| PO Box 56, Dunedin, NZ           "OK...So...She's a dog."             |