From: eachus@mitre-bedford.arpa  (Robert I. Eachus)
Subject: Re: Are 'best' universities being targeted for Ada9X
Date: 2 Aug 93 17:10:42 GMT	[thread overview]

In article <SRCTRAN.93Jul28233335@world.std.com> srctran@world.std.com
   (Gregory Aharonian) writes (lots of drivel deleted:

   >   Also with little correlation with the competitive universities
   > is the universities ARPA and AJPO are funding with their
   > educational Ada grants, at least for the 1992 BAA:

   >   East Tennessee State, Florida Agricultural, Illinois Institute,
   > Kutztown U., U. of Scranton, West Virgina U., U. of Alabama,
   > Central Mich.U., Clemson, Colorado State, U. of Conn., Univ. of
   > Dayton, Florida Inst. Tech., George Washington U., U. of Houston
   > - Clear Lake, U. of New Mexico, U. of North Dakota, RPI,
   > Shippensburg U., Southeastern Louisiana U., and Wright State
   > University.

       But there is a large correlation between this list and the list
   of well respected schools in the areas where Ada is heavily used.
   I could argue that RPI, where I got my Master's should be on the
   most competitive schools list, but it certainly is among the top
   ten engineering schools, as probably are Clemson and IIT.  UHCL and
   FIT have close ties to NASA and are located near to major NASA
   facilities, etc.  (I'll let Mike sing the praises of GWU if he
   feels it is necessary.)

       Yes, I would like to see CMU, MIT, or one of the Ivy League
   Schools on the list of schools using Ada.  However, there is a
   problem with the mindset which says that top schools should educate
   students, not train them.  RPI and WPI, on the other hand, prefer
   to have their graduates prepared for the "real world."

--

					Robert I. Eachus

with Standard_Disclaimer;
use  Standard_Disclaimer;