From: world!srctran@uunet.uu.net  (Gregory Aharonian)
Subject: Re: An Apology to Mr. Ada on "Ada Sucks"
Date: 28 Jul 93 01:48:33 GMT	[thread overview]

>Recently I responded to another one of the "Ada Sucks" posts by the well
>known "I hate Ada and Therefore Everyone Else Should Do The Same and I
>Won't Stop Posting Ada Hate Mail Until Everyone Else Does" poster;

If you read closely what Mr. Ada has posted, you will notice that very
little, if any of it, is anti-Ada.  Mr. Ada likes Ada alot, otherwise
he wouldn't have spent so much of his OWN money investing in Ada
businesses, more so than most of the people at Tri-Ada, WadaS, Ancoat,
etc.  But you have to actually read his postings to figure that out. For
example, his WadaS presentation did not say one bad thing about the
software engineering merits of Ada and in fact started out with a
compliment of Ada's ability to convey information on complex concepts.
(and if you have problems reading, try Hooked-on-Phonics).

Mr. Ada is anti-  Ada policies and hypocrisy, such as a Mandate that
most people in the DoD don't believe in fully or follow, such as Ada reuse
operations that violate the public trust by wasting tons of money on
providing a 800-number service for free, about the lack of presence
of anyone from the Ada world at commercial trade shows and conferences,
about DoD think tanks that suppress information critical of Ada policies,
about a DoD that bases policies without having any knowledge of the
demographics of Ada use inside and outside, about a DoD that totally
botched integrating Ada and VHDL, about a DoD that only seems to be
publicizing success stories for projects that don't use Ada, about a
general Ada community that is unwillingly to jointly sponsor marketing
efforts for Ada, about Ada companies spending more money advertising
C/C++ stuff than Ada stuff, etc.  (activities which from your silence
I assume you approve of).

Mr. Ada like Ada alot.  But it amazes him that a language as good as Ada,
with billions of defense dollars spending behind it, has had such a dismally
poor impact outside the Ada Mandated world.  Why?  Because of the hypocrisy
and apathy of those inside the Mandated world that John seems to support,
people like John whose involvement with Ada is not with their OWN money.
And people inside the government will never understand why this makes such
a big difference.

So on behalf of Mr. Ada, who is too humble to post this himself, three
cheers for his tireless efforts for truth, justice and the American way
(this third person point of view writing is kind of fun).  And with regards
to your apology, stick it where the sun doesn't shine.

 Greg Aharonian
 Source Translation & Optimization
 P.O. Box 404, Belmont, MA 02178