* Unable to use "Find all references" with GPS CE 2020 !?
@ 2020-07-23 15:48 Jérôme Haguet
From: Jérôme Haguet @ 2020-07-23 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello

These days, I tried to use GPS from Gnat CE 2020, Windows x64.
Unfortunatly, 'Find all references' does not seems to work.
It happens on 2 different PCS, with any project I have tried, including the one used in the tutorial.
Am I the only one ?
Any hints ?

Regards.

Jérôme

* Re: Unable to use "Find all references" with GPS CE 2020 !?
@ 2020-07-23 17:33 ` gautier_niouzes
From: gautier_niouzes @ 2020-07-23 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

> These days, I tried to use GPS from Gnat CE 2020, Windows x64.
> Unfortunatly, 'Find all references' does not seems to work.
> It happens on 2 different PCS, with any project I have tried, including the one used in the tutorial.

I have probably an identical setup: 2 PCs, Windows 10, x64, GNAT CE 2020. On both, 'Find all references' works perfectly, even on a relatively low-powered laptop (2 cores, 2 logical processors, 1.1 GHz). I'd say it works better than previously: in earlier versions, the reference finder gave up due to (perhaps) a time-out, or sometimes didn't want to work at all for the whole session.
Perhaps your problem is with the path? "C:\GNAT\2020\bin;" or equivalent should come first. It's important if you have multiple GNAT installations.

* Re: Unable to use "Find all references" with GPS CE 2020 !?
@ 2020-08-26 14:47   ` Jérôme Haguet
From: Jérôme Haguet @ 2020-08-26 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > These days, I tried to use GPS from Gnat CE 2020, Windows x64.
> > Unfortunatly, 'Find all references' does not seems to work.
> > It happens on 2 different PCS, with any project I have tried, including the one used in the tutorial.
> I have probably an identical setup: 2 PCs, Windows 10, x64, GNAT CE 2020. On both, 'Find all references' works perfectly, even on a relatively low-powered laptop (2 cores, 2 logical processors, 1.1 GHz). I'd say it works better than previously: in earlier versions, the reference finder gave up due to (perhaps) a time-out, or sometimes didn't want to work at all for the whole session.
> Perhaps your problem is with the path? "C:\GNAT\2020\bin;" or equivalent should come first. It's important if you have multiple GNAT installations.

Thanks Gauthier for the suggestion,  I have simplified the PATH. But it did not make it work.
I have made some additional tests with a new computer, and it works successfully.

But I am still facing the problem with my own computer.
I have found one difference using ProcessExplorer : subprocess ada_language_server.exe is not running after my .gpr project is opened.
It can be successfully started from command line "C:\GNAT\2020\libexec\gnatstudio\als\ada_language_server.exe ...", but it is not started from GPS.

Any idea where to check ? Any log option to activate ?

@ 2020-08-26 16:25     ` Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2020-08-26 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 26/08/2020 16:47, Jérôme Haguet wrote:

> Any idea where to check ? Any log option to activate ?

I think it is one of many bugs. I have a newly installed of GPS 2020.
The issues are:

1. Go to declaration/body almost never work

2. Switching between ads and adb does not work, there is no choice in
the right mouse click menu. It is greyed in the Navigate menu.

3. Find all references does not work

4. Move left/right involves an extra line below the selection (was in
older versions too)

* Re: Unable to use "Find all references" with GPS CE 2020 !?
@ 2020-08-27 23:49       ` Anh Vo
From: Anh Vo @ 2020-08-27 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wednesday, August 26, 2020 at 9:26:01 AM UTC-7, Dmitry A. Kazakov wrote:
> On 26/08/2020 16:47, Jérôme Haguet wrote:
>
> > Any idea where to check ? Any log option to activate ?
> I think it is one of many bugs. I have a newly installed of GPS 2020.
> The issues are:
>
> 1. Go to declaration/body almost never work
>
> 2. Switching between ads and adb does not work, there is no choice in
> the right mouse click menu. It is greyed in the Navigate menu.
>
> 3. Find all references does not work
>
> 4. Move left/right involves an extra line below the selection (was in
> older versions too)

Under Windows 10, 1 - 3 works fine. If selecting the entire last line, issue 4 remains. However, if just selecting ending text of the last line, 4 works, too.

Anh Vo

* Re: Unable to use "Find all references" with GPS CE 2020 !?
@ 2020-08-28  7:21         ` Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2020-08-28  7:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 28/08/2020 01:49, Anh Vo wrote:
> On Wednesday, August 26, 2020 at 9:26:01 AM UTC-7, Dmitry A. Kazakov wrote:
>> On 26/08/2020 16:47, Jérôme Haguet wrote:
>>
>>> Any idea where to check ? Any log option to activate ?
>> I think it is one of many bugs. I have a newly installed of GPS 2020.
>> The issues are:
>>
>> 1. Go to declaration/body almost never work
>>
>> 2. Switching between ads and adb does not work, there is no choice in
>> the right mouse click menu. It is greyed in the Navigate menu.
>>
>> 3. Find all references does not work
>>
>> 4. Move left/right involves an extra line below the selection (was in
>> older versions too)
>
> Under Windows 10, 1 - 3 works fine. If selecting the entire last line, issue 4 remains. However, if just selecting ending text of the last line, 4 works, too.

It may depend on the project[s] settings. I have a hierarchy of
projects. #3 works on the files from the topmost project. It does not on
the files from the projects it depends on.

5. Sometimes GPS asks to reload a file as updated from another program
right after building the project have saved it on the disk. Some
bookkeeping goes wrong. This is hugely annoying. Luckily it happens
infrequently.

* Re: Unable to use "Find all references" with GPS CE 2020 !?
@ 2020-08-28 10:35     ` Jérôme Haguet
From: Jérôme Haguet @ 2020-08-28 10:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le mercredi 26 août 2020 à 16:47:08 UTC+2, Jérôme Haguet a écrit :
> > > These days, I tried to use GPS from Gnat CE 2020, Windows x64.
> > > Unfortunatly, 'Find all references' does not seems to work.
> > > It happens on 2 different PCS, with any project I have tried, including the one used in the tutorial.
> > I have probably an identical setup: 2 PCs, Windows 10, x64, GNAT CE 2020. On both, 'Find all references' works perfectly, even on a relatively low-powered laptop (2 cores, 2 logical processors, 1.1 GHz). I'd say it works better than previously: in earlier versions, the reference finder gave up due to (perhaps) a time-out, or sometimes didn't want to work at all for the whole session.
> > Perhaps your problem is with the path? "C:\GNAT\2020\bin;" or equivalent should come first. It's important if you have multiple GNAT installations.
> Thanks Gauthier for the suggestion, I have simplified the PATH. But it did not make it work.
> I have made some additional tests with a new computer, and it works successfully.
>
> But I am still facing the problem with my own computer.
> I have found one difference using ProcessExplorer : subprocess ada_language_server.exe is not running after my .gpr project is opened.
> It can be successfully started from command line "C:\GNAT\2020\libexec\gnatstudio\als\ada_language_server.exe ...", but it is not started from GPS.
>
> Any idea where to check ? Any log option to activate ?
>
> Jérôme

Seen in http://docs.adacore.com/live/wave/gps/html/gps_ug/environment.html#the-ada-language-server
"One known limitation of this server is that it doesn’t support file paths that are not valid UTF-8."

And in %USERPROFILE%\home\.gnatstudio\log, I found :
   [GPS.KERNEL.XREF] Set up xref database: :memory: (12:24:25.635)
   [SQL.INSPECT] Loading data from data into database (12:24:25.651)
   [ENTITIES.TIMING] Created database: 0.017679200 s (12:24:25.653)
   [GPS.KERNEL.GPS_KERNEL] Refresh_Context: no child focused (12:24:25.668)
   [GPS.KERNEL.MSG] Not loading C:\GNAT\2020\share\examples\gnatstudio\tutorial\obj\sdc-msg.xml (12:24:25.668)
   [GPS.LSP_CLIENT] Starting 'C:\GNAT\2020\libexec\gnatstudio\als\ada_language_server.exe' (12:24:25.834)
   [HOOKS.EXCEPTIONS] While running project_view_changed:GPS.LSP_MODULE.ON_PROJECT_VIEW_CHANGED
   _HOOKS.EXCEPTIONS_ raised ADA.STRINGS.UTF_ENCODING.ENCODING_ERROR : bad input at Item (34)

But I do not understand which file path is not valid UTF-8 : I have used standard installation, and I am testing sdc.gpr, which is provided as a tutorial

@ 2020-08-28 17:37           ` DrPi
From: DrPi @ 2020-08-28 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le 28/08/2020 à 09:21, Dmitry A. Kazakov a écrit :
> On 28/08/2020 01:49, Anh Vo wrote:
>> On Wednesday, August 26, 2020 at 9:26:01 AM UTC-7, Dmitry A. Kazakov
>> wrote:

>>> I think it is one of many bugs. I have a newly installed of GPS 2020.
>>> The issues are:
>>>
>>> 1. Go to declaration/body almost never work
>>>
>>> 2. Switching between ads and adb does not work, there is no choice in
>>> the right mouse click menu. It is greyed in the Navigate menu.
>>>
>>> 3. Find all references does not work
>>>
>>> 4. Move left/right involves an extra line below the selection (was in
>>> older versions too)
>>   Under Windows 10, 1 - 3 works fine. If selecting the entire last
>> line, issue 4 remains. However, if just selecting ending text of the
>> last line, 4 works, too.
>
> It may depend on the project[s] settings. I have a hierarchy of
> projects. #3 works on the files from the topmost project. It does not on
> the files from the projects it depends on.
>
> 5. Sometimes GPS asks to reload a file as updated from another program
> right after building the project have saved it on the disk. Some
> bookkeeping goes wrong. This is hugely annoying. Luckily it happens
> infrequently.

6. Sometimes, GPS crashes when auto-completion is triggered.

* Re: Unable to use "Find all references" with GPS CE 2020 !?
@ 2021-06-18 11:02       ` Jérôme Haguet
From: Jérôme Haguet @ 2021-06-18 11:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le vendredi 28 août 2020 à 12:35:39 UTC+2, Jérôme Haguet a écrit :
> > > I have probably an identical setup: 2 PCs, Windows 10, x64, GNAT CE 2020. On both, 'Find all references' works perfectly, even on a relatively low-powered laptop (2 cores, 2 logical processors, 1.1 GHz). I'd say it works better than previously: in earlier versions, the reference finder gave up due to (perhaps) a time-out, or sometimes didn't want to work at all for the whole session.
> > > Perhaps your problem is with the path? "C:\GNAT\2020\bin;" or equivalent should come first. It's important if you have multiple GNAT installations.
> > Thanks Gauthier for the suggestion, I have simplified the PATH. But it did not make it work.
> > I have made some additional tests with a new computer, and it works successfully.
> >
> > But I am still facing the problem with my own computer.
> > I have found one difference using ProcessExplorer : subprocess ada_language_server.exe is not running after my .gpr project is opened.
> > It can be successfully started from command line "C:\GNAT\2020\libexec\gnatstudio\als\ada_language_server.exe ...", but it is not started from GPS.
> >
> > Any idea where to check ? Any log option to activate ?
> >
> > Jérôme
> Seen in http://docs.adacore.com/live/wave/gps/html/gps_ug/environment.html#the-ada-language-server
> "One known limitation of this server is that it doesn’t support file paths that are not valid UTF-8."
>
> And in %USERPROFILE%\home\.gnatstudio\log, I found :
> [GPS.KERNEL.XREF] Set up xref database: :memory: (12:24:25.635)
> [SQL.INSPECT] Loading data from data into database (12:24:25.651)
> [ENTITIES.TIMING] Created database: 0.017679200 s (12:24:25.653)
> [GPS.KERNEL.GPS_KERNEL] Refresh_Context: no child focused (12:24:25.668)
> [GPS.KERNEL.MSG] Not loading C:\GNAT\2020\share\examples\gnatstudio\tutorial\obj\sdc-msg.xml (12:24:25.668)
> [GPS.LSP_CLIENT] Starting 'C:\GNAT\2020\libexec\gnatstudio\als\ada_language_server.exe' (12:24:25.834)
> [HOOKS.EXCEPTIONS] While running project_view_changed:GPS.LSP_MODULE.ON_PROJECT_VIEW_CHANGED
> _HOOKS.EXCEPTIONS_ raised ADA.STRINGS.UTF_ENCODING.ENCODING_ERROR : bad input at Item (34)
>
> But I do not understand which file path is not valid UTF-8 : I have used standard installation, and I am testing sdc.gpr, which is provided as a tutorial
>
> Regards
> Jérôme

FYI :
This specific problem was due to an environment variable with French characters
For example :
C> set ONE_VAR=Déjà
C> gnatstudio.exe
and ada_language_server.exe process will fail to start when opening the 1st gpr project.

Same problem with gnatstudio from GNAT CE 2021