From: Jerry <list_email@icloud.com>
Subject: Re: Weird error emanating from GNAT binder: duplicat "gnatS"
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2023 01:49:40 -0800 (PST)	[thread overview]

On Wednesday, February 22, 2023 at 2:37:27 AM UTC-7, Jeffrey R.Carter wrote:
> On 2023-02-22 09:50, Jerry wrote:
> >
> > Since my most recent post, and before I read this note from Niklas, I
> > * Removed the circular dependency between packages common and signal_processing and consequently was able to remove the "limited with" clause.
> > * The "limited with" has been in the code for a few years; the problem that I am reporting has begun only about 2-3 days ago. At that point, I was adding a function to common.adb and common.ads; upon recompiling, the bug appeared. When I restored those files from backup, the problem remained. To be clear, the "limited with" has been present for a long time with successful compilation until 2-3 days ago.
>
> > * As far as I know, which is pretty far, the source code hasn't changed. As we all know, those are famous last words. :-| But the compiler isn't point to my code.
> The first two statements seem to contradict the third. I will presume that you
> have returned the code to the state that previously built successfully, and are
> still getting the problem.
That is correct. Only after experiencing the problem with what I believe is the original code did I remove the limited with, and the problem remains without the limited with.

> Something must have changed (unless GNAT 12 has a time bomb). How long have you
> been using the version of the compiler that gives you the error?
Please see my previous post which I was writing at the time of your post. I think it answers your question.

> I would suggest deleting all compiler artifacts: .ali, .o[bj], executable, and
> trying again.
I did that. Multiple times. No help.

> You could also try using gnatmake without a project file rather than gprbuild or
> gnatmake with a project file to see if that has any effect.
I thought about that but I'm not sure how to do it. I guess the easiest way would be to make a new directory and put copies of the needed files in it so I don't have to make a bunch of weird switches.

> GNAT 12 has significant known errors that prevent it from compiling legal code.
Wow. Good to know.
> I'm sticking with V11[.3] until they're resolved. You might need to do the same.

Not sure what the Mac/ARM situation is with V11.
Jerry