* [ANN] Ada IRC channel on Freenode
@ 2012-11-08  1:44 Genro Kane
From: Genro Kane @ 2012-11-08  1:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

About twice a year we try to advertise the #ada channel on the Freenode IRC network.  Celebrating its eleventh birthday next month, the channel continues to be active and friendly.  These days it averages about 60 users at a time, large enough to support lively and informative discussions but small enough so it's not a madhouse.

Topics range all over the map, from building the latest GNAT to writing an OS in Ada to daily Ada programming issues to how to use PolyOrb to use the Distributed Systems Annex.  The stated topic is discussing Ada in the context of free and open-source software, but commercial users are equally welcome.

So fire up your favorite IRC client and come join us!  The network is homed at irc.freenode.net, but has servers all over the world.  Visit www.freenode.net on the web for details.  Hope to see you soon!

* Re: [ANN] Ada IRC channel on Freenode
@ 2012-11-10  8:40 ` Michael Erdmann
From: Michael Erdmann @ 2012-11-10  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 11/08/2012 02:44 AM, Genro Kane wrote:
> About twice a year we try to advertise the #ada channel on the Freenode IRC network.  Celebrating its eleventh birthday next month, the channel continues to be active and friendly.  These days it averages about 60 users at a time, large enough to support lively and informative discussions but small enough so it's not a madhouse.
>
> Topics range all over the map, from building the latest GNAT to writing an OS in Ada to daily Ada programming issues to how to use PolyOrb to use the Distributed Systems Annex.  The stated topic is discussing Ada in the context of free and open-source software, but commercial users are equally welcome.
>
> So fire up your favorite IRC client and come join us!  The network is homed at irc.freenode.net, but has servers all over the world.  Visit www.freenode.net on the web for details.  Hope to see you soon!

It would help if you could post the name of the channel as well. On the
first look i was not able to locate the channel in the list of primary
groups.

/Michael

* Re: [ANN] Ada IRC channel on Freenode
@ 2012-11-10  9:23   ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2012-11-10  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Michael Erdmann <boavista@snafu.de> writes:

> On 11/08/2012 02:44 AM, Genro Kane wrote:
>> About twice a year we try to advertise the #ada channel on the
>> Freenode IRC network.  Celebrating its eleventh birthday next month,
>> the channel continues to be active and friendly.  These days it
>> averages about 60 users at a time, large enough to support lively
>> and informative discussions but small enough so it's not a madhouse.
>>
>> Topics range all over the map, from building the latest GNAT to
>> writing an OS in Ada to daily Ada programming issues to how to use
>> PolyOrb to use the Distributed Systems Annex.  The stated topic is
>> discussing Ada in the context of free and open-source software, but
>> commercial users are equally welcome.
>>
>> So fire up your favorite IRC client and come join us!  The network
>> is homed at irc.freenode.net, but has servers all over the world.
>> Visit www.freenode.net on the web for details.  Hope to see you
>> soon!
>>
> It would help if you could post the name of the channel as well. On
> the first look i was not able to locate the channel in the list of
> primary
> groups.

I think that might be #ada (as in the OP's first line).

* Re: [ANN] Ada IRC channel on Freenode
@ 2012-11-12  5:28     ` Michael Erdmann
From: Michael Erdmann @ 2012-11-12  5:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 11/10/2012 10:23 AM, Simon Wright wrote:
> Michael Erdmann <boavista@snafu.de> writes:

>> It would help if you could post the name of the channel as well. On
>> the first look i was not able to locate the channel in the list of
>> primary
>> groups.
>
> I think that might be #ada (as in the OP's first line).

Thanks i should have guest it my self :-)

/Michael

* [ANN] Ada IRC channel on Freenode
@ 2021-04-07  8:44 Rod Kay
From: Rod Kay @ 2021-04-07  8:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

About twice a year we try to advertise the #ada channel on the Freenode
IRC network.  Celebrating its twentieth birthday this year, the channel
continues to be active and friendly.  These days it averages about 80

@ 2021-04-07  8:54 ` John McCabe
From: John McCabe @ 2021-04-07  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 07 Apr 2021 18:44:44 +1000, Rod Kay wrote:

> About twice a year we try to advertise the #ada channel on the Freenode
> IRC network.

Wow! It's like a blast from the past; I've just started (re)using usenet
and IRC's still around! Does anyone still use Gopher and Veronica? :-)

* Re: [ANN] Ada IRC channel on Freenode
@ 2021-04-07 15:39   ` Dennis Lee Bieber
From: Dennis Lee Bieber @ 2021-04-07 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 7 Apr 2021 08:54:08 -0000 (UTC), John McCabe
<john@nospam.mccabe.org.uk> declaimed the following:

>On Wed, 07 Apr 2021 18:44:44 +1000, Rod Kay wrote:
>
>> About twice a year we try to advertise the #ada channel on the Freenode
>> IRC network.
>
>Wow! It's like a blast from the past; I've just started (re)using usenet
>and IRC's still around! Does anyone still use Gopher and Veronica? :-)

	I believe the Mother Gopher was killed off some years ago. However,
there seem to be some 300 servers still out there based on links from
Wikipedia.

	wlfraed@ix.netcom.com    http://wlfraed.microdiversity.freeddns.org/

* Re: [ANN] Ada IRC channel on Freenode
@ 2021-04-07 17:43   ` Luke A. Guest
From: Luke A. Guest @ 2021-04-07 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 07/04/2021 09:54, John McCabe wrote:
> On Wed, 07 Apr 2021 18:44:44 +1000, Rod Kay wrote:
>
>> About twice a year we try to advertise the #ada channel on the Freenode
>> IRC network.
>
> Wow! It's like a blast from the past; I've just started (re)using usenet
> and IRC's still around! Does anyone still use Gopher and Veronica? :-)

There are still gopher's out there, think one might even be Ada related.
Never heard of Veronica.

* Re: [ANN] Ada IRC channel on Freenode
@ 2021-04-07 18:24     ` Jeffrey R. Carter
From: Jeffrey R. Carter @ 2021-04-07 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 4/7/21 7:43 PM, Luke A. Guest wrote:

> There are still gopher's out there, think one might even be Ada related. Never
> heard of Veronica.

Veronica was a successor to Jughead, which was a successor to Archie, a tool for
indexing and searching FTP archives.

"You cheesy lot of second-hand electric donkey-bottom biters."
Monty Python & the Holy Grail

* Re: [ANN] Ada IRC channel on Freenode
@ 2021-04-07 19:01   ` Shark8
From: Shark8 @ 2021-04-07 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wednesday, April 7, 2021 at 2:54:10 AM UTC-6, John McCabe wrote:
> On Wed, 07 Apr 2021 18:44:44 +1000, Rod Kay wrote:
>
> > About twice a year we try to advertise the #ada channel on the Freenode
> > IRC network.
> Wow! It's like a blast from the past; I've just started (re)using usenet
> and IRC's still around! Does anyone still use Gopher and Veronica? :-)
I have a friend who does retro-computing and, IIRC, he's got a Gopher server running.

* Re: [ANN] Ada IRC channel on Freenode
@ 2021-04-08 14:28     ` John McCabe
From: John McCabe @ 2021-04-08 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 07 Apr 2021 12:01:16 -0700, Shark8 wrote:

> On Wednesday, April 7, 2021 at 2:54:10 AM UTC-6, John McCabe wrote:
>> On Wed, 07 Apr 2021 18:44:44 +1000, Rod Kay wrote:
>>
>> > About twice a year we try to advertise the #ada channel on the
>> > Freenode IRC network.
>> Wow! It's like a blast from the past; I've just started (re)using
>> usenet and IRC's still around! Does anyone still use Gopher and
>> Veronica? :-)
> I have a friend who does retro-computing and, IIRC, he's got a Gopher
> server running.

Weirdo ;-)

* Re: [ANN] Ada IRC channel on Freenode
@ 2021-05-26 22:21 ` Rod Kay
From: Rod Kay @ 2021-05-26 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Due to a hostile, commercial takeover of Freenode, the #ada IRC channel
has moved to the 'irc.libera.chat' server.