* GNAT gcc flag for generating xref info?
@ 2020-06-03 23:56 Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2020-06-03 23:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

There used to be a flag -fdumpxref for the GNAT gcc C compiler that output .gli files, which gnatcoll.xref parsed just as it does .ali files for Ada code.

But that is apparently gone;

gcc.exe: error: unrecognized command line option '-fdumpxref'

gnat/.../cc1.exe --help shows a flag -fxref, but that is also gone:

gcc.exe: warning: switch '-fxref' is no longer supported

So how do I use gnatcoll.xref with C code?

-- Stephe

* Re: GNAT gcc flag for generating xref info?
@ 2020-06-04 16:43 ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2020-06-04 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stephen Leake <stephen_leake@stephe-leake.org> writes:

> There used to be a flag -fdumpxref for the GNAT gcc C compiler that
> output .gli files, which gnatcoll.xref parsed just as it does .ali
> files for Ada code.
>
> But that is apparently gone;
>
> gcc.exe: error: unrecognized command line option '-fdumpxref'
>
> gnat/.../cc1.exe --help shows a flag -fxref, but that is also gone:
>
> gcc.exe: warning: switch '-fxref' is no longer supported
>
> So how do I use gnatcoll.xref with C code?

You would have thought, given the maturity of GCC ( :-) ) that the
ChangeLogs would contain some references to these switches. The only one
I can see is that references to -fdump-xref in the Ada documentation
were removed (because the switch was deprecated) in December 2017.

The current GNAT Studio documentation says that the gnatinspect
cross-reference database is deprecated.

So I guess they're now using libadalang (and a putative libclang???) but
since GNAT Studio isn't provided in the Mac CE 2020 pack and the 2019
version works fine on the rare occasions I need it I can't comment
further.

* Re: GNAT gcc flag for generating xref info?
@ 2020-06-04 20:15   ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2020-06-04 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

> a putative libclang

In the Github sources! https://github.com/AdaCore/gps/tree/master/libclang

* Re: GNAT gcc flag for generating xref info?
@ 2020-06-05 10:47   ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2020-06-05 10:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

There is https://github.com/cquery-project/cquery ; I'll try that with eglot.