From: Stephen Leake <stephen_leake@stephe-leake.org>
Subject: Re: Installing ada-mode 6.2.1 on Debian Buster
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2019 10:45:31 -0800 (PST)
Date: 2019-11-17T10:45:31-08:00	[thread overview]

On Friday, November 15, 2019 at 2:30:05 AM UTC-8, Markus Schöpflin wrote:

>      apt-get install gnat
>      apt-get install libgnatcoll-xref18-dev

I have been testing on Debian with the GNAT Community install, because gprbuild was not in the Debian package. I gather it is now, so I'll switch to that.

> Now, open a shell and go into the directory where Ada mode has been installed
> (e.g. ~/.emacs.d/elpa/ada-mode-6.2.1).
>
> * Fix the line-ending of the two files wisi-fringe.el and gpr-query.el:
>
>      dos2unix gpr-query.el ; dos2unix ../wisi-2.2.1/wisi-fringe.el.

> * Comment out the line with "gnat_util"; in the file gpr_query.gpr.

This is a difference between GNAT versions. My development version also has deleted the "gnat_util".

> * Make sure gprbuild will use the correct compilers, run gprconfig to select
> GNAT for Ada and GNATGCC for C. This is especially important if Clang is
> installed as well.

I'll mention this in ada-mode.info. Can you post a little more detail about what to look for in gprconfig output? That is, by default build.sh just works; how can you tell if gprconfig needs special attention?

> * Run build.sh. It should compile everything without errors, but it will fail
> on installation.

By default it installs executables in the same directory as the "gnat" binary. Thus it needs root privs (as any system install does).

> * Manually install the files gpr_query, all *.exe, and ada_lr1_parse_table.txt
> into /usr/local/bin/ or another directory on PATH.

Simpler is to edit build.sh to add "--prefix <path>" to the gprinstall line. I gather it would be helpful to add a command line option to build.sh for this.

Thanks for the feedback.

After installing, is ada-mode working well for you? Have you noticed error recovery in the parser?

-- Stephe