* How to associate a simple menu with a window in GtkAda
@ 2022-05-01  5:37 andrew...@gmail.com
From: andrew...@gmail.com @ 2022-05-01  5:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm trying to create a small menu that will show up at the top of a window.  The problem that I'm encountering is that I'm not clear on how to make that association and have had a hard time trying to find this specific example.  This is the code that I have so far:

https://codeshare.io/loqWOm

* Re: How to associate a simple menu with a window in GtkAda
@ 2022-05-01  8:58 ` Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2022-05-01  8:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2022-05-01 07:37, andrew...@gmail.com wrote:
> I'm trying to create a small menu that will show up at the top of a window.  The problem that I'm encountering is that I'm not clear on how to make that association and have had a hard time trying to find this specific example.  This is the code that I have so far:
>
> https://codeshare.io/loqWOm

1. Always post complete code.

2. Never call Initialize on objects created Gtk_New or equivalent.

3. GtkAda examples contains a sample code for menus.

* Re: How to associate a simple menu with a window in GtkAda
@ 2022-05-02  6:15 ` Stephen Merrony
From: Stephen Merrony @ 2022-05-02  6:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sunday, 1 May 2022 at 07:37:59 UTC+2, andrew...@gmail.com wrote:
> I'm trying to create a small menu that will show up at the top of a window. The problem that I'm encountering is that I'm not clear on how to make that association and have had a hard time trying to find this specific example. This is the code that I have so far:
>
> https://codeshare.io/loqWOm

I agree that it's hard to find readable examples.  I have a an Ada GUI program on Github using GtkAda: https://github.com/SMerrony/dashera

I'm not holding up as great code, but take a look at Src/gui.adb - starting maybe woth the Create_Window procedure, then Create_Menu_Bar which adds the menu and associates its items to their procedures.

Hope that helps a little.

* Re: How to associate a simple menu with a window in GtkAda
@ 2022-05-22  4:00   ` andrew...@gmail.com
From: andrew...@gmail.com @ 2022-05-22  4:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

About point #2, why not?

@ 2022-05-22  6:29     ` Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2022-05-22  6:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2022-05-22 06:00, andrew...@gmail.com wrote:
> About point #2, why not?
>
> On Sunday, May 1, 2022 at 4:58:52 AM UTC-4, Dmitry A. Kazakov wrote:
>> On 2022-05-01 07:37, @gmail.com wrote:
>>> I'm trying to create a small menu that will show up at the top of a window. The problem that I'm encountering is that I'm not clear on how to make that association and have had a hard time trying to find this specific example. This is the code that I have so far:
>>>
>>> https://codeshare.io/loqWOm
>> 1. Always post complete code.
>>
>> 2. Never call Initialize on objects created Gtk_New or equivalent.

Because Gtk_New calls to Initialize internally. Basically

    Gtk_New = allocator new + Initialize