* Homebrew, GNAT
@ 2021-06-01  8:04 Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2021-06-01  8:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Homebrew (https://brew.sh) is a package manager for macOS.

Since releasing GCC 11.1.0 for macOS (at Sourceforge and now Github[1]),
people have been saying what a good idea it would be to have it in
Homebrew.

I understand that a binary (pre-built) component for Homebrew is called
a "cask". If someone who knows how to build a "cask" wants to do so for
GCC+Ada I would help, but for the moment that’s as far as it goes.

* Re: Homebrew, GNAT
@ 2021-06-01 16:10 ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2021-06-01 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Since releasing GCC 11.1.0 for macOS (at Sourceforge and now Github[1]),

[1] https://github.com/simonjwright/building-gcc-macos-native/releases/tag/gcc-11.1.0.1

* Re: Homebrew, GNAT
@ 2021-06-01 23:02   ` Bill Findlay
From: Bill Findlay @ 2021-06-01 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 1 Jun 2021, Simon Wright wrote
(in article <lyo8cpzhus.fsf@pushface.org>):

> Simon Wright <simon@pushface.org> writes:
>
> > Since releasing GCC 11.1.0 for macOS (at Sourceforge and now Github[1]),
>
> [1] https://github.com/simonjwright/building-gcc-macos-native/releases/tag/gcc
> -11.1.0.1

Hi Simon,

how does that relate to GNAT CE 2021?
I see that AdaCore have not released a version for macOS.

--
Bill Findlay

* Re: Homebrew, GNAT
@ 2021-06-02  8:51     ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2021-06-02  8:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bill Findlay <findlaybill@blueyonder.co.uk> writes:

> On 1 Jun 2021, Simon Wright wrote
> (in article <lyo8cpzhus.fsf@pushface.org>):
>
>> Simon Wright <simon@pushface.org> writes:
>>
>> > Since releasing GCC 11.1.0 for macOS (at Sourceforge and now Github[1]),
>>
>> [1] https://github.com/simonjwright/building-gcc-macos-native/releases/tag/gcc
>> -11.1.0.1
>
> Hi Simon,
>
> how does that relate to GNAT CE 2021?
> I see that AdaCore have not released a version for macOS.

No; and apparently GNAT CE 2021 is going to be the last CE release for
any target.

It is possible to build CE 2021 for macOS (I and another on the GNAT-OSX
miling list are disagreeing somewhat on how to configure for this), but
at some point we have to bite the bullet.

What I'm not sure of is gnatprove. If the compiler sources don't match
what gnatprove expects you'll get build failures or, at best, runtime
failures. And how far could you trust it even if it appeared to work?

Of course, if you need to trust it you'll be happy to pay.

* Re: Homebrew, GNAT
@ 2021-06-02 18:15       ` Bill Findlay
From: Bill Findlay @ 2021-06-02 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2 Jun 2021, Simon Wright wrote
(in article <lyk0nczm2k.fsf@pushface.org>):

> Bill Findlay<findlaybill@blueyonder.co.uk>  writes:
>
> > On 1 Jun 2021, Simon Wright wrote
> > (in article <lyo8cpzhus.fsf@pushface.org>):

> > > [1] https://github.com/simonjwright/building-gcc-macos-native/releases/tag/
> > > gcc
> > > -11.1.0.1
> >
> > Hi Simon,
> >
> > how does that relate to GNAT CE 2021?
> > I see that AdaCore have not released a version for macOS.
>
> No; and apparently GNAT CE 2021 is going to be the last CE release for
> any target.
!! 8-(
> It is possible to build CE 2021 for macOS (I and another on the GNAT-OSX
> miling list are disagreeing somewhat on how to configure for this), but
> at some point we have to bite the bullet.

Would that have any advantage over the current FSF compiler?
(Excuse the probably naive questions - the ins and outs of open
source largely elude me.)

-- Bill Findlay

* Re: Homebrew, GNAT
@ 2021-06-04  5:55       ` Mark Lorenzen
From: Mark Lorenzen @ 2021-06-04  5:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wednesday, June 2, 2021 at 10:51:19 AM UTC+2, Simon Wright wrote:
> No; and apparently GNAT CE 2021 is going to be the last CE release for
> any target.

Why do you say that? Can you provide any sources?

Regards,
Mark

* Re: Homebrew, GNAT
@ 2021-06-04  7:38         ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2021-06-04  7:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mark Lorenzen <mark.lorenzen@gmail.com> writes:

> On Wednesday, June 2, 2021 at 10:51:19 AM UTC+2, Simon Wright wrote:
>> No; and apparently GNAT CE 2021 is going to be the last CE release for
>> any target.
>
> Why do you say that? Can you provide any sources?

Of course, I may be macOS-biased here :-)

Remarks at [1],

   "We see a majority in favor or recommending GNAT FSF.

   "The result is less clear for the removal of GNAT community. The
   comments along the answers show that people against this are worried
   about the ease of use. So we are going to work on that aspect."

   "We don't expect anyone to build GCC/GNAT themselves, and that is why
   part of our plan is to help maintainers of OS distribution make good
   GNAT package."

   "AdaCore will continue to provide the SPARK toolset on Linux and
   Windows. There is no runtime coming with the toolset, so no possible
   license confusion, it's only an analysis tool!"

   [[Can we run Linux apps in Docker on a Mac? looks possible, and might
   I think be an OK solution for gnatprove given the above. M1 macs??]]

and [2],

   "Most likely this version of the compiler will be the last in the
   GNAT Community Edition release chain. In the future, the compiler
   collected from open source GCC texts can be installed using a batch
   manager Alire."

[1]
https://www.reddit.com/r/ada/comments/j6oz6i/results_of_the_survey_on_the_future_of_gnat/
[2] https://www.altusintel.com/public-yy39qc/

* Re: Homebrew, GNAT
@ 2021-06-04 10:08           ` Mark Lorenzen
From: Mark Lorenzen @ 2021-06-04 10:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Friday, June 4, 2021 at 9:38:14 AM UTC+2, Simon Wright wrote:
> Mark Lorenzen <mark.l...@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > On Wednesday, June 2, 2021 at 10:51:19 AM UTC+2, Simon Wright wrote:
> >> No; and apparently GNAT CE 2021 is going to be the last CE release for
> >> any target.
> >
> > Why do you say that? Can you provide any sources?
> Of course, I may be macOS-biased here :-)
>
> Remarks at [1],
>
> "We see a majority in favor or recommending GNAT FSF.
>
> "The result is less clear for the removal of GNAT community. The
> comments along the answers show that people against this are worried
> about the ease of use. So we are going to work on that aspect."
>
> "We don't expect anyone to build GCC/GNAT themselves, and that is why
> part of our plan is to help maintainers of OS distribution make good
> GNAT package."
>
> "AdaCore will continue to provide the SPARK toolset on Linux and
> Windows. There is no runtime coming with the toolset, so no possible
> license confusion, it's only an analysis tool!"
>
> [[Can we run Linux apps in Docker on a Mac? looks possible, and might
> I think be an OK solution for gnatprove given the above. M1 macs??]]
>
> and [2],
>
> "Most likely this version of the compiler will be the last in the
> GNAT Community Edition release chain. In the future, the compiler
> collected from open source GCC texts can be installed using a batch
> manager Alire."
>
> [1]
> https://www.reddit.com/r/ada/comments/j6oz6i/results_of_the_survey_on_the_future_of_gnat/
> [2] https://www.altusintel.com/public-yy39qc/

Thank you very much. It looks like AdaCore will provide builds of FSF GCC to distro maintainers instead of distributing GNAT as CE. That's fine - as long as I don't have to build GNAT myself from the FSF distro :-)

Regards,
Mark

* Re: Homebrew, GNAT
@ 2021-06-04 23:10           ` Bill Findlay
From: Bill Findlay @ 2021-06-04 23:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 4 Jun 2021, Simon Wright wrote
(in article <lymts69j19.fsf@pushface.org>):

> Mark Lorenzen<mark.lorenzen@gmail.com>  writes:
>
> > On Wednesday, June 2, 2021 at 10:51:19 AM UTC+2, Simon Wright wrote:
> > > No; and apparently GNAT CE 2021 is going to be the last CE release for
> > > any target.
> >
> > Why do you say that? Can you provide any sources?
>
> Of course, I may be macOS-biased here :-)

Mois aussi.
> "We don't expect anyone to build GCC/GNAT themselves, and that is why
> part of our plan is to help maintainers of OS distribution make good
> GNAT package."

Perhaps not as dire a situation as I feared?
> [[Can we run Linux apps in Docker on a Mac? looks possible, and might
> I think be an OK solution for gnatprove given the above. M1 macs??]]

I run Debian 10 in Parallels on my iMac to make Linux builds of ee9.
I hope an M? build of GNAT becomes available before the iMac croaks!

--
Bill Findlay