From: briot.emmanuel@gmail.com
Subject: Re: gpr and Makefiles
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2020 03:57:51 -0800 (PST)
Date: 2020-01-28T03:57:51-08:00	[thread overview]

gprbuild is pretty weak for generated code.
When I was working at AdaCore, we had made a nice design to properly handle this, but I don't know what happened to that design.

Here, you are trying to generate Ada code. So when you start gprbuild, it might quickly compile a unit that depends on one of the generated Ada packages, without having generated them already. In practice, you end up having to run gprbuild multiple times (once to generate the files, then to compile everything).
A proper build tool should be able to handle that automatically in one pass, just by having a full graph of dependencies.